Mac book pro 17 no power and applecare issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jollyrgr, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jollyrgr macrumors newbie

My mid 2010 has a cracked screen I think from when I squeeze it when I pick it up. I was going to repair it before sending it in for its final apple care visit, I wish I would have.

I took it to the apple store to fix the battery, the button battery and the optical drive.

Apple voided the applecare because of the cracked screen. I understand that. But when I got my mac back from the regional repair center the computer is completely dead.

Before I sent it off I replaced my 1TB drive with the original drive. When it came back two of the battery screws were rattling around inside and one of the screws to the battery indicator logic board heat sync was loose. Did they switch out my logic board? Why would they undo these screws if they just looked at the cracked screen and decided not to do the repair?

Anyhow I am getting 3.9V on one side of the power button pad on the logic board but nothing happens when I jump it. I have reset the SMC to no avail. I have replaced the battery which should come with an 80% charge. The green battery charge indicator on the side will not light up. I get a solid green light on my magsafe.

Should I send her to someone to re-wave the board? Anybody know of a good company that does this task?

I would buy a new computer but I edit video on this 17". If Apple continues not to offer a 17" I am afraid at some point I will have to learn how to use a PC and switch from FCP 7 to Adobe Premiere, yuck.

2. imurdaddy macrumors member

3. Jollyrgr thread starter macrumors newbie

Wont work on a 17" PC. It is an Apple only software

4. Doward macrumors 6502a

I would complain. Apple has an obligation, even if they decide to void your AppleCare, to at least return the laptop in the same condition that it was sent to them. Clearly they did not.

I don't think reflowing the board is going to help you, sorry.

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

call up customer relations and speak to them. What was written on your job sheet when they were giving you the laptop back?
    Like the other said the laptop come back the same way it went to them. Check the serial sticker on the logic board on the ram is it the same serial number of your mac? has it been tampered with? if not then they may have not swaped your board out but maybe damaged it while checking things.
    speak to apple care first and then to customer relations
    all the best

6. Jollyrgr thread starter macrumors newbie

Taking it into Apple (store) tomorrow.

I should have had them order the parts. They have been fixing my laptop and did not care about the cracked screen.

I did not like it going to the regional by the book repair center.

Like with the government the more you can keep things on a local basis the better off you are.