Mac Book Pro 17 old and new differences

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davewilliams201, Jul 18, 2010.

1. davewilliams201 macrumors newbie

I got the following ad from jr.com today:
    Apple MC226LL/A 2.8GHz MacBook Pro 17"
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz / 4GB RAM / 500GB Hard Drive / NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT / SuperDrive / iSight Webcam / Bluetooth / Extreme WiFi / Mac OS X Leopard

Save 34%
    Today Only
    $1649.00

I've been considering a macbook pro for a while. On comparing it to the apple.com website, I see that its an older model because it's using the core 2 processor.

Is that a big deal? Are there any other differences that I'm not noticing?
    They are listing a higher retail price than it really should be but It's still less than the price on the apple website.

Thanks in advance!
    -Dave

2. sadcamper macrumors regular

This model retails on Apple's refurb section for $1799.

Differences between it and the current model:
    -core duo processor
    -graphics card
    -no automatic resolution switching

If you're okay without those things, it's a perfectly fine machine.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've owned this model (well the antiglare model) and it is awesome! I'd say go for it, the pricing is really great.

4. neal.young macrumors member

Yeah, thats a great deal for an awesome computer. Note that it only comes with 10.5 Leopard, and not Snow Leopard, so you should take that into account when buying. There really isn't a huge difference between the new i7 models and the Core 2 Duo models. I currently own the i7 17'' MBP, and used to own the 15'' Core 2 Duo MBP. I see no major difference in performance between the two computers.

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

6. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

the only drawback for me would be the gpu other than that the d/c is is great :)

7. davewilliams201 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for all your comments. I decided to finally enter the world of Macs and went for it.
    -D

8. Inside_line macrumors regular

Those closeout deals on previous generation macs are always the best.... even better when the differences are subtle. I'm not so quick to devalue an architecture difference, and there are plenty who would support that as seen by the complaints of the 13" core duo... but you are never going to find that 17" machine for less and if you don't need an i5, then it's perfect.

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on your new machine, if you decide to get it, it is a powerful and great machine, it was my 2nd 17" unibody that model and I loved it. SO enjoy and welcome into the mac world.

Simon