MAC BOOK PRO 17" problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sandyk, Jun 9, 2010.

1. sandyk macrumors newbie

I purchased a MacBook Pro 17" about 4 years back along with a 3 year APP. I have been a single person user. In the first 3 years I had the following problems.
    1. The Battery bloated to three times it's original thickness on two occasions
    2. The keyboard keys were popping out.
    3. The adapter's wire got burnt near the joint.
    4. The CD drive stopped working.
    Thankfully, as I was under APP, the problems were rectified/replaced free of cost.
    Now my MB Pro is out of warranty and guess what!!! Couple of weeks ago as I was working the display changed suddenly and some geometric patterns appeared on the screen. On rebooting the same screen appears and the Laptop doesn't boot. I took it to the Authorised Apple Retailer for a diagnosis. Then came the shocker. They tell me the Logic Board is bust.... and it would cost me at least 750 pounds or even more.
    Can anyone offer any suggestions.......

2. RayK macrumors 6502

I would say new laptop. Fixing it, even by yourself with eBay parts isn't going to be cheap. It sucks you've had so many problems. Truthfully I have had more problems with my Apple laptops than even that, but Apple has always made good on them, usually by replacing them, but they've never been out of warranty. I don't know if yours is one of the nvidia chip problem motherboards but I'll call and check. Being so far out of warranty they are probably going to say what I say though, new laptop time.

3. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

For a 17" I would probably replace the logic board, but it is not an easy task by any means.

You could also sell it on ebay for parts, which it will go for a few hundred dollars.

Then you can use that go spring for a used, refurbished or new laptop.

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That's a good idea, selling the old on e-bay a d getting a refurbished one, great deal...

5. sandyk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I'll take a call soon and get back to tell you which of those recommendations I took..... thx again.

6. Restinbeast macrumors member

I don't expect my laptops to last beyond 4 years b/c I use them so often. 4 years is a success in my mind.

7. sandyk thread starter macrumors newbie

I would consider it a success if problems crept in only after 4 years of use. Not the way my laptop has gone through right from the first year of purchase.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

With your issues it would have been smart to sell your laptop just before the AppleCare ran out and upgrade to a newer machine. I'm not sure it is worth fixing your machine now, given the cost of its repair.

9. sandyk thread starter macrumors newbie

I could'nt agree with you more. Thx.

10. sandyk thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me out on this? Can a used working motherboard having a slightly different specification ( say 2.6 GHz instead of 2.16 GHz) replace my defunct motherboard (2.16GHz) on my MacBook Pro 17"?? I have seen one on e-bay. Do I go for it?

Thanks

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

3-4 years old laptop~ I would NOT speed any money to fix it!!! Seriously~ Get a new MacBook Pro and it just updated recently which is a right time to purchases :D

I would even get the cheapest MacBook for $999, but I wouldn't speed any money to fix it

Anyway, is really up to you ;)