Mac Book Pro 17" - Touch Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phoanglong, May 8, 2009.

1. phoanglong
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Hi guys/gals,
    I'm thinking about install a touch panel to my Macbook Pro, not the newest version as it is absolutely can't not be install :D. What do you guys think? Will it be a waste of money, is there any disassemble guide ?
    Thanks

2. michael.lauden
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

why not just get a modbook and save ruining your MBP

3. phoanglong
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry I don't really understand your reply ??? I'm trying to install the touch panel for my Macbook Pro 17", just a question of what do you guys think, is it possible to install one?

4. miles01110
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

miles01110

I think it's a total waste of time, money, and effort. Then again, I don't see the point of touch screens when a keyboard and mouse are just as, if not more efficient ways of interacting with the computer.

5. phoanglong
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes:But when it comes to graphic designer, don't you think it will be more "fun" to have a touch panel install into it, i found a website that sold this touch panel that can be install without disassemble the Macbook. But I would love to hide all the wires and stuffs, and stick it permanently into my Macbook pro. Here is the website.

6. Digital Skunk
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The truth is, the money spent on a 17" Mac Book Pro is great, and tearing it apart for a novelty thing like a touch screen is a even greater waste of money.

I THINK you shouldn't do it. Unless of course you have the RAW cash to blow away on a novelty venture that won't get you much outside of having a 17" MBP worth $3000 or so that has a $1000 touch screen mod to it.

7. phoanglong
    Expand Collapse

Can not be more agree with you with the part i spent more than £2k into this Macbook pro, but I found the website up there that only sell the touch screen panel for under £100..:D

8. magamo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I will never do it myself but always enjoy videos and pictures of superb Mac mods. I guess it doesn't matter much if it's more efficient and worth the price. But again, I will not mod my Mac for a touch screen.

9. phoanglong
    Expand Collapse

Okie last though :D, I will get the kit order and then try to mod this, wish me luck. Will update the pictures and videos after everything is done.. either it has a lot of wires or no wires at all :D

10. Benguitar
    Expand Collapse

Benguitar

Bad Idea, Not Possible

Okay dude, I don't think you get it.

Installing Touch Panel into MacBook Pro (or any Apple product) = MAJOR Voiding of the warranty and a 99.99% chance of ****ing up your machine in the process.

That is why if you are going to do it, get a cheaper MacBook or even a PC to try it out on first, and still I wouldn't go disassembling you MacBook Pro just so you can "try" and have a touch screen so all your friends will worship you.

Slow your creativity down a little bit and just get a Tablet.

$500.00 for Tablet that works fine.

or

Risk of losing $2800.00 or more for something that isn't professionally installed on a product that WASN'T designed for having a touch screen.

11. iMpathetic
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Only a 99.99 chance of screwing something up if you're an idiot.

OP, if you know exactly what you're doing, go ahead.

12. Benguitar
    Expand Collapse

Benguitar

Nobody's perfect, everyone makes mistakes. So yeah, there is still a chance.

But hey do what you want, I just simply expressed my opinion.

(which most users hate my opinion)

13. phoanglong
    Expand Collapse

thanks guys, I'm disassembling my macbook pro right now and i think it is working fine, following by this induction:
    The guys that selling me the touch panel said that i will take up to 2 weeks to get all the components and ship it to me, so I will take this easy. But if it is not possible to install the touch panel into my Macbook pro the hard-way (by hard-way I mean without the wires :D) I will try to install it the easy way, let see how it going.. Will update soon.

14. michael.lauden
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

oh my god. you are brave good luck..................

let me emphasize the ...'s

15. Benguitar
    Expand Collapse

Benguitar

There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity. ;)

I really hope nothing bad happens, but gosh that is like trying to steal the name tag off a Apple Genius without him noticing and then getting out of the store.

(yeh, weird metaphor)

16. phoanglong
    Expand Collapse

Too bad guys, sorry to disappointed all of you :(. I have a look again at all the equipments and everything that needed to have this project done. Apple just did a too good job to put thing together that leave no space left for me to put anything else.

To have this project done, I have to install a small part called controller board into my Macbook pro, but it is just too big to fit any where, even if i take out the right-side speaker :(:(:(...

And the second thing is the thickness of the touch panel is 2.9mm which is thicker than the space that apple left..

So I think this is not possible to install.. Sorry for raising this threat

17. groove-agent
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Aren't modbooks pen enabled? I don't think they're touch.

18. alphaod
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes they have touch—they call theirs "Synergy"

19. Digital Skunk
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Wow, that's a cheap price.

You can always grab an older Powerbook/Macbook Pro that would give you that extra tenth of an inch or so, or a really thin 17" PC (that may be an oxymoron).

20. groove-agent
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Ah ... I see now on their trade show report - nothing on their website.

Also, they used to have the modbook pro available to order from their website, but not now for some reason.