Mac Book Pro 2018 external soundcard problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dogan, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Dogan Suspended

Hello community,

my good old windows laptop just died and I thought maybe its time to switch to apple. So I bought myself this good looking Mac book pro 2018 with an 512 SSD 16GB ram and the newest 6 core 2.6 ghz processor. I want to use my 8 channel audio interface (zoom uac 8) with preamps, line outs etc. the only thing: it has usb 3.0 and the mbp only offers usb c. anyways there are adapters. so I tried apple adapter, cheap adapter and now my xtrememac usb c hub arrived (also with usb 3.0). but that all doesn't help from the fact,
    that the sound is ****ing ****. I dunno how to explain. from Ableton, youtube or any other soundsource its incredible bad. sounds like the worst mp3. I checked my audio midi settings. 20ch 32bit 44.1 khz. in Ableton my sample rate is 512. I never had issues like this with my good ol fashioned windows laptop. also it can't be an adapter problem aswell, cause yeah I tested like 4 different and they were all the same. maybe u have some help ?

I can't just buy another soundcard with usb c. this switching to Mac project is getting more expensive from day to day..

so far

best greetz

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I'd buy a usb-c to USB-a cable (and try that instead of the adapter).

Important questions:
    What version of the OS came on the new MacBook Pro?
    Is it OS 10.14 (Mojave)?

I went to Zoom's software support page for the UAC-8, and it shows a UAC-8 driver, but only for Mac OS 10.9-10.13.

It may or may not be important, but perhaps a driver update is required?

One thing's for certain:
    I -WOULD NOT- try to connect this "through a hub".
    Plug it directly into a USB-c port on the MBP.

A good forum to go to for audio gear issues is gearslutz.com.
    Have you been over there yet?

3. Dogan thread starter Suspended

actually I did. Also the one from apple. but problem persists.
    I just did the update to Mojave 10.14.1 yesterday. when I bought it there was high Sierra Mojave beta on it but the problem was the same. will turn over there aswell to check.
    will also check if they made an driver update since yesterday (guess not).

thanks for your reply so far <3

4. Ploki macrumors 68030

5. jerryk macrumors 68040

Does your audio interface have it's own driver for Macs? I do primarily voice over and narration, so much less complicated, and use a Audient ID4 Interface. I have to ensure I install the Audient driver, adjust it's settings properly, and use it as my source to my DAW, Adobe Audition.

6. Ploki macrumors 68030

2018 i9 here did have audio dropout issues, both on RME (killer drivers) and internal.
    however sound was fine when it didn’t drop

7. Dogan thread starter Suspended

yeah I read about it. but never had real dropouts. just the sound is really really cheap. also fisherman was right. I just updated to Mojave 10.14.1 and the drivers are for 10.13. but also before the update so on high sierras Mojave beta aka 10.13. was same issue
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    @ jerryk i don't have any interface for the soundcard. just installed the drivers and now I can adjust settings in Macs midi and audio settings. but there is everything right. and also in my daw. 512 samples and co.