Mac Book Pro + 37" LCD ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Falcor, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Falcor macrumors newbie

2. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I think it probably would because the pixel density isn't that high compared to a 30" apple display but correct me if I'm wrong.

3. lfielder06 Guest

yes it will work I can't testify to the performance, but this is comparable to the 23" apple display in pixels. It will work though.

1920 X 1080 is the resolution on this display

4. ibilly macrumors regular

I know that it can support the resolution... don't know what the difference between DVI and DVI/HDMCI or some other acronym which the tv has.

5. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I have a westinghouse LVM-37W1 with DVI and VGA and I can testify that everything connects to it without any problems. The resolution is not bad and the image is crystal clear and incredibly bright--more than the MBP's LCD. Go for it!

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

1920 x 1020 is kinda low resolution for that display. The MBP will easily support that!

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That's a television without a tuner it in. Why would you want to use that as a computer monitor? The pixels are going to be huge. It will look grainy unless you're sitting 6+ feet away from it.

8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Agreed. Considering that the Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP has a resolution that's 1920 x 1200, (the same approximate resolution) and it's a full 13" smaller than the one you're inquiring about.

Sure it'll run OK, it just won't look that great.

9. Falcor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses guys, honestly I haven't shopped for a monitor in ages.. so the pixel density didn't even occur to me. Thanks for pointing that out. My initial idea was to go for the 30" Apple cinema display, but then I saw that and said to myself "Whoah, 7 inches bigger AND cheaper" and got excited. But now I understand the price.

Hmm.. well the whole point was to find something big that I can mount on the wall, but I don't want to sacrifice performance for it. The 30" Apple display would work great, but just out of curiosity has anyone found anything better?

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You might want to check out the 30" displays from Dell and HP. Many people say they're a better deal. The HP also has three DVI inputs, so you could potentially connect multiple computers to it if you want.

11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well, although the pixel pitch that others above had pointed out is absolutely a consideration, you also have to consider how you're planning on using the monitor. Are you wall mounting but still using it as a regular monitor (ie: less than a foot away from your eyes)? If not, and you're wall mounting and sitting away from it, then you don't want something with a super high res because you won't be able to see it!

For example, we inherited an HD projector yesterday. It's 720p/1080i (so even less res than that 37" you were looking at), and we had it set up to about 60-inches. At 6 feet away, when I hooked it up to my MBP, the picture looked amazing. Granted, I'm mostly a noob when it comes to this stuff and I imagine it's probably somewhat different when comparing LCDs to projectors, but still.. you get the idea.

12. Falcor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm planning on wall mounting it and using it normally as a computer monitor. Only that with my setup I'll be sitting further away from the screen than a normal desk, about 3ft away.

13. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I have done this. Make sure you are sitting at a typical height. My chair was too short and I found that my neck would hurt since I had to move my neck so much.

If you arent doing anything that requires you to need a decent pixel density. You will be fine. Just make sure your seating is adequate. You will enjoy, especially considering the flexibility with the number of inputs.

I actually had that display as well. You will like it. :)

14. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

You do not need a tuner if you have it hooked up to your cable/satellite network. It's a T.V. first, computer monitor second. I have a 42" Westinghouse 720p and the display does not look grainy, a 37" 1080p should be much more sharper. Of course it's not as sharp as a computer monitor but like I said earlier your getting it for dual purpose, television being first.

Edit: you can check out 123macmini.com gallery for some setups connected to a lcd TV

http://www.123macmini.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2

15. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Thank you, I know how televisions and tuners work. He said he wanted it for a computer. That thing is not a computer monitor, it is a television. I thought he might have not known that because it is labeled as a "video monitor" which is why I called it a television without a tuner. Sure, it can be used as a computer monitor, but computer monitors can be used as televisions too. I posted that to point out to him that its primary purpose is not a computer monitor.

16. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Grainy? No. Tuner has nothing to do with it.

How far will you be sitting? It's very difficult to do Work (Document)...Browsing is alright but only for a short time.

I have my 17" iMac 2.0GHz/ATi X1600 on my 37" Sharp AQUOS (LC-37D90) LCD HDTV 1080p. It's stunning but I only use it when want to Upconvert my DVD's (I have HD DVD & BD), iTunes Video or QuickTime/1080p Trailers.

I'm sitting only 6' away and as I said, I can't do work.

[​IMG]

17. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I have this exact setup (37'' Westy + MBP), and it works just perfectly. Love it!

PS: mrogers: It IS known as a monitor, that also doubles as a television. There is no built-in tuner, hence it falls directly in the "monitor" category. Also, I think it was a PC Mag or Anandtech review that reviewed the monitor and quoted it as the best buy for a gaming MONITOR for the price, even better than the Dell or Apple.

Also, I use it primarily as a computer monitor, not a television. Probably 80% computer/20% TV.

18. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Oh now I see the point you were trying to make, you should have just said that to begin with. :p

So bottom line: The OP can get a smaller computer lcd with higher resolution, or a larger television lcd with a lower resolution.

Falcor if your going to invest that much money on an lcd I suggest you take your MacBook Pro to an electronic store explain your situation and see how it looks yourself. What might look good and work for some will look unacceptable to others.