Mac Book Pro A1278 won't power up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobby Comer, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Bobby Comer macrumors newbie

I am trying to fix my nieces Mac Book Pro. I am new to this repair but I am tech savvy and have been fixing PCs, iPhones, and iPads for a few years now. The first thing I replaced was the Battery since it seemed like it wasn't holding a charge. It worked for a little bit but when the battery drained it stopped powering up. My next step was to replace the MagSafe logic board which made no difference, I still cannot power the device up. The mag Safe cord has an orange light on it which I understand to mean that it is charging the battery, however it never goes green to indicate that the battery is charged. I have unplugged the battery to see if the device would work by bypassing the battery(since you can do this with other Apple devices and still no power. I did notice that even after unplugging the battery the light on the cord still remained orange. They only other thing I can think of is replacing the cord but I wanted to get feedback first before trying that. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Trying another charger would have been on my list before the battery and magsafe board TBH - easy if you have a spare to hand, if not see if you can borrow one or use one in an Apple store to prove. The MBP will indicate whether it is charging in the menubar battery icon.