Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello guys,

Is there a way to know how long is been since the first time you turned you MBP for the first time out of the box?

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Nice App.... this is what Coconut Battery tells me...

Picture 2.png

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Coconut Battery must give the manufactured age because I've had my MBP for about 2 weeks now, but Coconut Battery tells me its 8 weeks old.

Yes, it gets the date that the computer was made from the serial number. There would be no way to tell what date the computer was bought on from the hardware itself, just the date that it was made.

zero85ZEN

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2009
Indianapolis
That's not what the OP is looking for. He wants to know how long his computer has been used for.

Well, cocnutbattery won't tell you that either. It only tells you how old your machine is in months and how many battery cycles you have on it.

So I guess none of the responses so far are much help to the OP.

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
To answer the OP, there is actually a very straight forward solution, which is so obvious, people forget about it!!

When you first turn on your Mac, you need to configure the first user account. If you navigate to the Users folder, and highlight the user account folder and 'get info', it will tell you when that folder was created. This is the date and time your machine would have been switched on (well, to be more precise, a few minutes later).

I also think there is a file somewhere in the main library folder (from root), which details the initial power on but I cannot remember what it is.

Best Regards,
Phil

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
To answer the OP, there is actually a very straight forward solution, which is so obvious, people forget about it!!

When you first turn on your Mac, you need to configure the first user account. If you navigate to the Users folder, and highlight the user account folder and 'get info', it will tell you when that folder was created...

Good idea. I guess if the original user account has been removed it wouldn't work, or if the OS has been reinstalled, but this would work for a lot of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.