Mac Book Pro air/ advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macman45, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Or MB Air? It's time to ditch my Windows laptop, but I'm not sure what to go for.

I like the Air, but I'm used to a lot more real-estate., so I'm thinking that the Pro may be a better bet.

That said, I really don't want to lug a big screen lappy around so the Air seems to fit better.

The max storage on the Air worries me a bit, as do the overheating and screen issues some have posted here?

What do you think?

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The overheating and screen issues you have read about are nothing to worry about. For one thing, they are no where near as bad as reported on these forums. Secondly, thats why Apple has a 1 year warranty.

Regarding the Air vs. Pro choice, thats really up to you. I don't think you can make a wrong decision. Plus, Apple will gladly exchange it within the first 14 days. I've got a Pro but my wife's got an Air. See, I couldn't decide either.

I suppose the only advise I have is this, the SSD is better than you can imagine. So, if you decide to get a Pro, save a few pennies and grab either the Apple SSD or an aftermarket one. You won't regret it. They are really a game changer.

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

DustinT is right. I love my 15" MBP but I'm always on mine doing business, and I normally only use my laptop at the office or home so lugging this thing around is no big deal to me. I'd get an Air and if you're worried about HD space being limited get an external 1tb for like $89 at BestBuy.

4. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thanks

Well, that's 2 for the Air and ssd which was what I was kinda thinking, but the smaller screen might take a little getting used to.

Price for the top end Air here in the UK from Apple is around £ 1400 or just below. Add the ssd, not too bad. I have for life AppleCare on all my stuff ( a favour returned) AND an MBP of decent spec is going to cost me a whole lot more.....Still pondering!:)

5. erasr macrumors 6502

Get an Air.

While I prefer my MBP 13 for the better colours, I have to say it's sooo much easier carrying around the Air daily when your bag is full of other stuff.

Plus you get better resolution so it will feel like a 15" screen anyway.

Oh and it's quite a bit faster than my 2010 MBP.

6. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thing Is

Im used to a 17.5" screen. That's a long way down....I guess I'd get used to it.:)

7. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thanks Both

For the advice....I've decided on the Air after playing with a friends for a while. He pointed out that I'm perfectly happy to browse the web with my iPad, so whats the issue with the screen size? :)

The Toshiba has a 17.5 but weighs a ton, and has not been out of its case for ages (many updates pre-sale I fear)

On to my Apple guru and order time....Top end Air it is!

8. erasr macrumors 6502

In terms of portability, once you go Air you won't go back. It's incredibly light and portably, which makes you end up thinking all laptops should be like that.

9. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Mmmm... portably... :) I'm pressing my girlfriend to replace her 2007 MB with an Air instead of a MBP for this reason alone.