Mac Book Pro and LED tv set up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jenko, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Jenko macrumors regular

Does anyone have any advice about using an MBP 15" setup with a new LED 37" television. The new Samsung television is set-up for external connection has HDMI connection is also internet and wireless ready as well as 1080 HD ready.This would be instead of purchasing an IMAC, the set up would allow me portability and the use of a larger screen real estate when needed. I suppose what I am asking is would it work as a good external display set up, any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Jenko

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The external TV would have a maximum resolution of 1920x1080, and that across 37-inch. That's quite a bag of big pixels you will get there.

It may be uncomfortable.

3. deathbyfugu macrumors newbie

You would just need a Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI connector and I imagine you'll be good to go.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

and

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

and then you're good to go (I think).

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

it will be bigger than the imac. And probably faster panel for games. For everyday work though, the additional resolution of the imac (27 I guess) and it's ips monitor will be much more comfortable.

If you plan to use the big monitor just to play games (on a mac?) or watch videos it will be OK. For anything more office oriented the low pixel density will be a problem.

5. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. So it would be possible to do video work and photoshop work for example on the larger tv screen direct from a 15" MBP laptop with no difficulty? The reason being is I do not have a lot of space in my house and with my 1 year old daughter finding her feet and hands (Current PC has already taken a few knocks) I am thinking it would be easier and safer to go for a MBP15" set up with the LED tv for both general tv viewing as well as computer work. Although I know the current Imac 27" is a great machine it would not allow for portability from room to room for example when trying to keep an eye on my daughter. I would not be takingthe Laptop out of the house very often.
    Thanks again.
    Jenko