Mac Book Pro - Back up Data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cougarcat454, May 3, 2016.

1. cougarcat454, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016

cougarcat454 macrumors newbie

Hard Drive.jpg Have an early 2011 15" macbook pro. Going to be sending it to apple for logic board/video/graphic problems. Machine will not boot up. Tried safe mode etc.. anyway taking out the hard drive to get it copied then reinstall original before I send it off. It looks like to me it has a dual hard drive system, maybe I am wrong. But do I just need to get the main hard drive copied or does the second drive also need to come out. Removed one on the bottom in photo, wondering abut the one directly above it.
    Early 2011 A1286 15"
    Thanks.

2. CoastalOR, May 3, 2016

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The early 2011 MBP only comes with one internal HDD, UNLESS someone removed the optical drive and install another storage drive in the optical drive location after it was purchased. There was no option from Apple for 2 internal HDDs.
    If you do have 2 internal drives then I would assume they have data you want and therefore should be backed up.

EDIT: I see you added a picture to your post since I started my post. The picture shows your optical drive where it should be (top left of picture), so you only have the 1 HDD to copy.

3. richard2, May 3, 2016

richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

4. cougarcat454 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok great, I thought that maybe it was an optical drive. Should be good to go.
    Thanks