Mac book pro cuts off from overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msp561, Dec 29, 2011.

1. msp561 macrumors newbie

As said in the title, while playing star wars the old republic, my laptop just shuts off. wasn't sure what it was until i touched the bottom of my laptop and it about burned m fingers. I am prettttty sure the over heating is causing it to cut off, as I see no other reason. Any suggestiongs for quick/free or cheap fixes to this issue?

PS as I am a noob I don't want to take my Mac Book apart and remove the thermal goop.

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Don't do it yourself as a noob. Get help.

3. msp561 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I will take it in and pay the moneys I guess...

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

what model & how old is your machine, new MBP should run games without shutting down.

The outer temperature of the aluminum case can be alarming for those relatively new to Apple & OS X, which in turn draws many to focus on the internal temperatures. It`s possible to reduce the the outer case temperature and fan RPM`s to some extents, with some specific powered coolers like the Moshi Zefyr 2, most regular PC orientated coolers do little or nothing as they are not designed with Mac`s in mind.

Passive coolers work well with Mac`s RainDesign`s iLap, Mstand & AViiQ portable laptop stand are excellent examples, and once again they help to reduce the case temperature and fan RPM`s. As for internal temperatures the only solution is the internal fans and the management of them.

Third party solutions such as SMC Fan Control, UltraFan and several others simply override OS X`s cooling algorithm. They can bring positives and negatives; cooler case & internal temperature, put you in control of system temperature. Greater noise, reduced fan lifecycle (high RPM`s will draw in more dust in dry environments) some apps run daemons and can be problematic to fully remove and reset default RPM`s.

All in all I run SMC Fan Control to monitor and add 1K RPM while charging, preferring the passive cooler stands. The Moshi Zefyr adds another dimension, and it does as advertised just mind we are talking about reducing case temp not internals...

5. msp561 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very helpful reply. I have a Mac book Pro 15" (I think...) from 2008. I know its getting pretty old... but in my last semester in college and just trying to hold out until I get a real job to get a new one. Any home rememdies that can help that you know of? Any way to increase the efficiency such as propping it up or anything?

6. Queen6, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yep just replaced my own 15" Early 2008 2.4Ghz MBP, not surprised it`s overheating (Penryn C2D), mine also runs very hot. Most likely the fans, heat sync`s will be partially clogged with dust and the thermal past on the CPU & GPU may be coming up for replacement. One of the fans on my 2008 died recently, however the machine has been exposed to dry & dusty climates, so no big surprise. I will basically overhaul mine and pass it to my daughter as it is still a good machine.

Just about anything that lifts up the machine will help, try no to use the machine running flat out just sitting on the desk, you need to allow the heat to dissipate, and not be reflected back from the desk. Avoid material that retains heat like wood, most of the passive coolers are just aluminum, a book & baking tray may work just as well.

You can use an external fan to help keep the temperatures manageable, I use one of these USB fans at present to keep my 2008 MBP running reasonably cool until I replace the fans. Try and keep the machine cool, once it is hot, it`s far more difficult to cool down. As Mac`s dissipate some heat via the case keeping the exterior fan will help to some extent. Mine is limping along on one fan and I am still using it as normal.

Download a temperature monitor so you can see if you are reducing the machines temperatures, Mac`s have several temp sensor. SMC Fan control will monitor both CPU & fan RPM`s it also lets you manually raise the fan RPM to increase cooling, don't go wild with the RPM`s your machine is getting on and it does look to have some problems.

And of course the one you won't like is stop gaming on the MBP, if it dies on you it will make a bad situation worse. Those machines with a NVIDIA 8600m GT GPU are noted for having a weak graphics package that can fail prematurely, rapid thermal cycling can accelerate this issue. Mine has been ok so far, others have not faired so well, requiring replacement of the Logic board. Apple will cover it if the machine is under four years old, if the MBP fails a specific GPU test, which just might be worth a shot, costs nothing to ask ;)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't accurately determine it's shutting off due to overheating, unless you know what temps are. Install iStat Pro to accurately determine your temps. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor).