Mac Book pro deadsies what should I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beyondink, Mar 24, 2009.

1. beyondink macrumors newbie

OK so last year I did an Apple firmware update on my MacBook pro that caused it to not turn back on... to make a long story short, though Apple was aware that this firmware would do this to this particular model of Pro, they woudl not fix it due to a dent in the case. Wife dropped it off couch first day I had it.. no problems with it ever... well turns out the motherboard is bad... soo here is where I need help...

Do I recover what I can from it and part it out..
    Do I buy a motherboard for it?
    I really hate not having it and really could use it, has all my photoshop, flash, dreamweaver, etc. on it.... but I have heard a mother board will run you $1500... I can do the install myself I think.
    Anywhere that sells them somewhat cheap? I woudl love to be able to work at home again with it woudl make life easier.... but I coudl almost buy a new one for what Mac wants for their Motherboard.. at least their quote to me....

What would u do? thanks guys!

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

I would check out ebay for someone else parting out a MBP. I've seen various auctions for different models where someone broke the hinge or the screen, or has taken out the HDD because of a broken screen. Even some just selling the logic boards, think I've seen more MBA logic boards vs MBP but I've not looked specific for logic boards on it.

$1500 for the parts is a tough call for me. I'd probably look for a UMBP and buy a new machine. I know I've seen the 2.53 model on ebay for right around $2k. I'd spend the extra 500 for a new machine with the latest hardware personally, but if money is tight, probably just keep searching for parts.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would try iFixit they have pretty good pricing. Just choose your model and part. You may be able to get it a little cheaper on eBay.

When you select any specific part to view on the right hand column under more information you can select the step by step instructions.

Note:
    - Be sure to choose the correct series of motherboard. Different speed boards of the same series should be interchangeable. I did notice however that the placement of major chips and connectors seems to be exactly the same between the original Core 2 Duo MB Pro, Santa Rosa and Penryn not the plain Core Duo it has fewer ports. So they may or may not be interchangeable as well. Maybe someone else knows that answer?

- Be sure you review the guide for tools you will need. Off hand I know you will need some Torx wrenches especially the somewhat harder to find small ones T-6, T-8. Along with a Eyeglass screwdriver set for #0 Philips screwdriver.

4. beyondink thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks for the help I will do some searching