Mac Book Pro Dropped on Tile

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tttexxan, Nov 7, 2007.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Dropped my Mac Book Pro on tile floor last night. The hard drive is not spinning and a folder comes up with blinking question mark. I "dropped" off at Local Apple Store (no pun intended) and they are replacing hard drive under warrenty...Im worried about the likely hood of recovering the files....Are their places that can do this even if hard drive damaged.

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

3. tttexxan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats what she said....She never asked how the drive was damaged, but did state a full diagnostic would be performed and fixed back to orginal specs. Im worried about it operating the same since I do photo editing for clients.

4. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Firstly I am surprised that your hard drive stopped working, I dropped my MBP on concrete from about 3 feet and all I got was a small dent in the casing.

As far the apple replacing hard drives, if you opted to have them back up and restore your system on the new hard drive($50 charge if I am not mistaken) there is a small possibility that they would be able to do that, other than that once they put that new hard drive in you never see your old one again.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

If the drive is no longer spinning, it would have to be taken to a clean room most likely to attempt data recovery. Good luck getting that out of apple. In my experience, they aren't even willing to attempt any file recovery on a drive that is just flaking out, much less won't spin.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

7. tttexxan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luckily I had just back up my files when upgrading to lepord. However I did a kids photo shoot this past weekend and spent hours editing. The org PSD files were not backed up but JPEGS on storage.