Mac book pro fault

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sjhaycroft, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Sjhaycroft macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I've been having a problem with my late 2011 MacBook pro whereby it won't boot up 90% of the time. It gets as far as the apple logo and then I get a white screen. When I have got in I've tested the ram sticks and they seem to be fine and also have tested the hard drives which both seem to be fine. I was running high Sierra when the problem occurred and I managed to use internet recovery to revert back to lion osx.
    Currently when I try and boot up in safe mode I'm getting a blue screen. When I do get in the computer seems fine and then will randomly freeze to the point where I need to hold the power button to restart. I've had instances where the screen becomes split. I'm aware that there was a logic board problem with this model of mac and my logic board was replaced under the extended warranty program 2 years ago.
    I've entered single user mode and used fsck -fy which initially tells me the file system was modified and then when I run it again it says file system appears to be ok.
    From the symptoms I've described does it sound like the logic board has had it again?

2. AuricBlue macrumors member

AuricBlue

Yeah, it sounds like your logic board is going bad again. I just had this happen in my 2011 MacBook Pro two weeks ago. (Luckily for the first time.)

Depending on when you bought it and where you live, you still might be able to get it repaired by Apple. I live in California and I bought mine in August so they were able to repair mine, but I had to pay for it. It was approximately $650. Probably not worth it.

What you can try is disable the Radeon graphics and just use the Intel graphics. I’ll put a URL with instructions how to do this below. I found them very explicative, and helpful. I hope they help you too!

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/267581/gpu-problem-boot-hangs-on-grey-screen/295805#295805

3. Sjhaycroft thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. To be honest I was thinking it was my logic board. The only difference is last time the start up chime would repeat over and over but this time it hasn't.