Mac Book Pro for musicians

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djarpit, Jun 9, 2009.

1. djarpit macrumors regular

I am planning to buy the new mac book pro for music production purposes.

I use cubase and reason rewired with bunch of audio/vst/midi track and effects.
    Hopefully there are people who use reason/cubase, and can help me out with this.

I am not sure what exactly configuration I wanna get. I am definatly getting the 15" one but I am confused on 2.53 vs. 2.66.

thanks for help

arpit

*edit. Also I am not a fan of the glossy.. is there a way to downgrade?

another question.. does www.macmall.com count as authorized apple dealer.. i wanna get the free ipod.. plus all the goodies that mac mall gives

2. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

If you plan on using more than one firewire audio device at the same time the only solution is the 17" or a old model 15" with expresscard slot if you can find one.

3. djarpit thread starter macrumors regular

this 15" doesnt have expresscard????

4. DYER macrumors 6502

nope the new 15' mbp which came out yesterday lost expresscard in favour of sd ...
    so if you want expresscard in a 15" hurry up and get a refurb of the apple online store or a 17'...

5. ..........? macrumors member

not entirely true. The good thing about firewire is you can daisychain it meaning you can connect one firewire device to the port then connect the second device to the first device if that device support daisychain. The only bad thing is the macbook pros 15" only have a firewire 800 port so if you device is firewire 400 then you will need a adapter since firewire 800 is backward compatible.

6. gratefulmac420 macrumors newbie

reason and Digital performer 4.6 for recroding work look into it

i feel Digital performer and Reason are like Pizza and beer try it...

7. djarpit thread starter macrumors regular

that is true.. and mostly everything all the external interfaces are firewire too right? I mean where else would I have wanted to use that slot? I am still at the beging phase of music making .. at max I'll invest in audio interphase with some kind of monitors soon.

Also plan to start up DJin soon.. so serato.. which should easily run on that/usb

8. djarpit thread starter macrumors regular

also

1)2.53 vs. 2.66.? for my purposes will it make a huge difference?
    i am gonna be rewiring cubase.. reason.. vsts.. midi.. and eventually switch over to pro tools

2) another question.. does www.macmall.com count as authorized apple dealer.. i wanna get the free ipod.. plus all the goodies that mac mall gives

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

dude, get a classic, they are set up great for DJing. I run reason off my mac and works great, no problems. No cubase though

10. jboyzh macrumors member

arpit: doing music stuff on my Macs for quite some time, while mostly in Logic, but I think the load on effects and instrumenst is about compareable to cubase or reason, I experienced this: For my projects, all below 2GHz was frustrating. On a 2.26GHz, it started to ge ok, now on a 2.4GHz unibody, my projects run nicely through; yes, 5% more or less make a remarkable difference. It depends, however, hugely on how many software effects and software instruments you'll work with, and at what audio resolution. All in all, for music, I'd recommend to go with the faster one.