Mac Book Pro Gfx card problem?

trixordo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have a macbook pro late 2007 model(Core 2 Duo 2.4 SantaRosa).

I was working all morning on it and everything was geat..no crashes no nothing.So, I had it switched off for a couple of hours cause i left home. When I came back i switched it on but it didnt show anything on the screen however i can feel it is working as i get the mac sound when pressing the power on button,the hard drive is active and a few shortcuts like the ctrl+option+apple+eject for shuting down work fine.It also recognizes my firewire sound card just fine and i get sound!!!By the way, the DVI display port doesnt work either when i connect a monitor!!

I tried with the power adapter on only , with the battery on only, with both on, i took out the memory and the battery and re-placed it back on but nothing different!!!!

So, is it that my Gfx card that has decided to stop working or is it something that i cant think and is very easy to fix??

Very desperate to sort it out as i have all my work in it and have to meet deadlines this month!!!

Thanks in advance:eek:

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Jist: Bring it to Apple. Your card is dead.

Long :
From http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377
MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues said:
Symptoms
In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within three years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

What to look for:

Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
Specific products affected:

MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors
MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
These computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008
Products Affected
MacBook Pro, models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors
Resolution
If your MacBook Pro is exhibiting any of the symptoms listed above, please take it to an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for evaluation, or call your local Apple Contact Center. Before visiting the Genius Bar at the Apple Retail Store, please make a reservation.

Apple is issuing refunds to customers who may have paid for repairs related to this issue. Please contact Apple for details on the refund process.

Note: If your MacBook Pro is not experiencing any of these symptoms, you do not need to contact Apple.

Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

Comment

trixordo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks!!!I just spoke with apple and they will do it free of charge!!
They new straight away what it was!!

Comment

Flobber88

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
I had the exact same issues on my 2.2 SR MbP a month ago. It was a faulty GPU and Apple replaced the logic board (now covered by a 3 year warranty)

Comment