Mac Book Pro going Crazy, please help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomamon, Mar 29, 2018.

1. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

My mouse is moving all over and I can't get it to move where I want it. I'm not touching it and it is moving things, closing things and making the screen shake. Anyone have any clue what is going on? I have an early 2013 Retina MBP. I can not even scroll, it’s moving windows and the screen looks shaky. Any tips or advice to fix this?

2. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Can you plug in an external mouse, and turn off trackpad?

Without more info, I’d guess battery bulge interfering with the trackpad.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I suggest you download "Coconut Battery" (free) and check the health of the battery.

As Count Blah said, an aging (or failing) battery can begin to expand and "swell up". When it does, it will press against the underside of the track pad, and may interfere with normal operation of same.

Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store close by?
    If so, and if you think it's the battery pushing against the trackpad due to swelling up, TAKE IT TO THEM.
    They may replace it for free (swollen batteries are a safety hazard).
    If they won't do it for free, I believe the replacement runs about $200. This price should INCLUDE the labor charge as well as the battery itself. Make sure they don't overcharge!

Even if you have to pay, replacing a swollen/failing battery is a good idea and worth the money.

But use the free Coconut Battery to check it first!

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Thanks guys. I’ve been suspecting battery issues and brought it in to Apple a couple months ago. They said it was fine, however it keeps shutting off at anywhere from 20-60% and needs to be plugged in.