Mac book pro hardware mods(ultimate mac book pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coldharbour, Jan 30, 2010.

1. coldharbour macrumors newbie

Hey everyone I have a mac book pro from 2006, and it is the 15 inch older version with the silver keyboard. 1gb of ram 80 gb hard drive 2.16ghz cd2 cpu. I think its time for me to upgrade as I will be heading to university with in the year. I am thinking that I want the 15 inch mac book pro, but I want to be able to make modifications to the lap top. I am unaware of how long the current mac book batteries last for, as my lap top that I from 2006 only lasts for about 3 minutes with out being plugged in :(. Also the fact that my mac book pro only has 1gb of ram is also a :( I love the mac osx operating system and I will always always use a mac for my work/school needs....Pc for play :).
    I have really been out of the loop as far as studying mac books and their mod history. So here it goes Is it possible to buy a 15inch mac book pro, and upgrade the ram my self... if so what is the ram cap of the 15 inch mac book pro? I want to put in an ssd probably one from intel as hopefully the SLC archetecture SSD's will be going down in price, I should be able to do this on a new mac book pro right? A battery that lasts 6-7 hours. and a nice shell case for it. I don't care how much the shell case is, one that does the job and protects the lap top and is as thin and seamless as possible. Is it possible to buy a mac book pro and make these modifications? The last time I checked it is impossible to overclock an apple cpu because of EIF? EFI? (thats okay my mac book is a stove top anyway) so I want to rely on solid SSD and a lots of ram.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I believe the max ram is 8gb and you should have no problem with replacing that and putting in an SSD. As long as you don't break anything, it will still be under warranty too. Also, every case I see is the Speck cases, those seem to be popular. They even sell them at Apple store.

I however don't think you can over-clock the MacBook.

Throw all of those updates in and you'll truly have Future-Proof BadBoy Pro.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

4. bsizz234 macrumors member

in the new ones? pretty sure it's 8... penryns can handle 6, and that's from 2 years ago.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i guess i should have read it properly ;)

yea 8GB in current - mybad.

6. coldharbour thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I would imagine that apple will probably be coming out with a new mac book pro series soon, and that modifications will be able to be made. Thanks again!

7. rwd hero macrumors 6502

makes me smile every time

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Really? It sorta makes me fell sad inside

9. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I wouldn't count on SLC prices going down any time soon. But there's nothing wrong with MLC drives! :)

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

As for super-thin cases, you could look at InvisibleShield. It's a thin film that goes over the whole computer and is practically indestructible. My wife has one for her iPod and it works quite well.