Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaney3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Alabama
Good morning all. I have searched the site and the web but can't find my help for my issue.

I have a 2006-2007 Mac Book Pro and I was looking to upgrade my HD since it is giving me issues now. I've loaded my OS on it three times and its just not having it anymore.

My question is, whats my upgrade options for an older model mac book pro?

The hard drive I have is:

Hard Drive 065-6623 120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm

What can I upgrade to now?

Thanks for any and all the help.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I can do a solild state HD? I was under the impression of just getting one of the other optical type drives.

You can do an SSD, but it will be slower than normal due to your computer's limitations, but still faster than a HDD. Do you want speed or volume?

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
You can do an SSD, but it will be slower than normal due to your computer's limitations, but still faster than a HDD. Do you want speed or volume?

I wouldn't be so certain of that. Even the most basic of Core 2 Duo chips can pump a good bit more than the 300-600 MB/s you'll see from SSDs.

Odds are good the limitation will be SATAII (3.0 Gbps) vs SATAIII (6.0Gbps).

To the OP, an SSD will be the single biggest jump in performance for your MBP that you've seen ;)

Chaney3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Alabama

I would like speed but I do require volume. I have 120GB HD now and I think all but 4 is being used. So would like more than that amount.

I wouldn't be so certain of that. Even the most basic of Core 2 Duo chips can pump a good bit more than the 300-600 MB/s you'll see from SSDs.

Odds are good the limitation will be SATAII (3.0 Gbps) vs SATAIII (6.0Gbps).

To the OP, an SSD will be the single biggest jump in performance for your MBP that you've seen ;)

Ok, so I will see improvements over what I have now even with my older MacBook.

The guy at the Genius Bar said my hard drive might be failing even though it passed their check

System keeps crashing after I reload Snow leopard. Freezes and then when restart it goes to the gray screen. Frustrating! Hopefully this will solve my issues.

What brands should I look into? I seen Samsung being mentioned. Any other that are good?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.