Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbt3

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I wanted to upgrade my hard drive on my 2011(I think, it was the first one with thunderbolt) MBP and I currently have a 500GB internal drive, I wanted to upgrade to a 1TB and preferably a 7200 rpm one (if that is possible on a 2.5" drive without it overheating my laptop). I also was thinking of removing my optical drive and putting in a second Solid State HDD for quick speed for when I need to run video editing software. via the OWC Data Doubler Kit http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMBS6E120/

does anyone have any tips or warnings for doing this? which drive should I run my OS off of? What is the best way to copy my current hard drive onto the new one?

and on a related but somewhat off topic note, I was looking to take my now spare 500GB hard drive and upgrade my PS3 hard drive, has anyone done anything like that before? backup process? suggestions?

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Not to mention there are millions of same threads here and on google if you just search...

Make the SSD go in your main bay, not the optical.
The optical bay only has SATAII (if you have early 2011 model) while main has SATA III.
And its a SSD not a Solid State HDD unless you are talking about hybrid drives.

Its easy so there are no suggestions...
Just dont mess up since its something not user replaceable so if you have a warranty it would get voided.
To copy files, you can use CCC but I like to do fresh install to be safe.

Of course you have to backup.
Thats the first step when modifying, actually you should be doing that regularly.
Its doable but dont ask here about the PS3 since its a Mac forum.
Go search that on you own.

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
I wanted to upgrade my hard drive on my 2011(I think, it was the first one with thunderbolt) MBP and I currently have a 500GB internal drive, I wanted to upgrade to a 1TB and preferably a 7200 rpm one (if that is possible on a 2.5" drive without it overheating my laptop). I also was thinking of removing my optical drive and putting in a second Solid State HDD for quick speed for when I need to run video editing software. via the OWC Data Doubler Kit http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMBS6E120/

does anyone have any tips or warnings for doing this? which drive should I run my OS off of? What is the best way to copy my current hard drive onto the new one?

and on a related but somewhat off topic note, I was looking to take my now spare 500GB hard drive and upgrade my PS3 hard drive, has anyone done anything like that before? backup process? suggestions?

Hi, when you actually do the job I suggest that you take a look at this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

It might help, it is really detailed. You boot from the sad and use the other for storage, but 120 might be a little tight.

As for your ps3:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive-6176090/

I did the upgrade on my mbp but I never tried upgrading the drive of a ps3 but it seems easy enough and Gamespot usually knows their stuff.

Good luck

cbt3

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Not to mention there are millions of same threads here and on google if you just search...

Make the SSD go in your main bay, not the optical.
The optical bay only has SATAII (if you have early 2011 model) while main has SATA III.
And its a SSD not a Solid State HDD unless you are talking about hybrid drives.

Its easy so there are no suggestions...
Just dont mess up since its something not user replaceable so if you have a warranty it would get voided.
To copy files, you can use CCC but I like to do fresh install to be safe.

Of course you have to backup.
Thats the first step when modifying, actually you should be doing that regularly.
Its doable but dont ask here about the PS3 since its a Mac forum.
Go search that on you own.

Thank you for the snippy attitude.

Should I set my SSD as the boot drive? or just as a scratch disk for my programs that need speed (ie FCP, Logic)
as yes I did search.

croth56

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
I have an Early 2011 macbook pro. I have a 750gb Seagate Hybrid in the main bay and a 1TB Seagate Hybrid in a MCE optibay. The 750 is 7200 rpm and the 1TB is 5400 rpm. For all intents and purposes I see no real world difference in speed between the two. My system report says the optibay is running at 6GB link speed and 6GB negotiated. I, personally, am staying away from SSD's for now. Too many reports of these drives failing prematurely. I know their fast as hell, but I'll take the reliability for now.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010

Should I set my SSD as the boot drive? or just as a scratch disk for my programs that need speed (ie FCP, Logic)
as yes I did search.

I just did this on a friends 2009 MBP, I put the SSD in the optical drive bay but that was because it was SATA II and as has already been mentioned you'll need to put the SSD in the main bay on your machine.

Yes, it is easy to do.

The SSD should definitely be the boot drive, no question at all about that.

The best way to do this procedure is to download SuperDuper which is free for the purpose you are going to use it for.

Next you have to decide what size SSD you want let's assume you are going to get a 128GB SSD.

The idea is that you are going to end up with the system, and all your apps on the SSD. Including your home folder EXCEPT for your Movies and Music folder, depending on the size of your SSD you may want to keep you Pictures on the SSD or the HDD. The point is that all the rest of your home folder that contains your library and caches and bits of tiny files will benefit greatly from being on the SSD.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

as yes I did search.

Boot. SSD should be for boot and apps.
HDD for storage.

----------

I have an Early 2011 macbook pro. I have a 750gb Seagate Hybrid in the main bay and a 1TB Seagate Hybrid in a MCE optibay. The 750 is 7200 rpm and the 1TB is 5400 rpm. For all intents and purposes I see no real world difference in speed between the two. My system report says the optibay is running at 6GB link speed and 6GB negotiated. I, personally, am staying away from SSD's for now. Too many reports of these drives failing prematurely. I know their fast as hell, but I'll take the reliability for now.

Really? I hear more HDDs failing compared to SSDs.
SSD is hard to break. It might corrupt but just take constant backups.
HDD has so many moving parts it can die out a lot easier.

croth56

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
I understand hard drives have more moving parts and SSD's have none. I have been working with computers since the 486 days and have only ever had one hard drive failure and that one failed quickly after purchase. I also understand that there is a limited life to hard drives. People I work with that have HD failures,generally, knew they were coming and were able to prepare. Go look at Newegg or Amazon and select an SSD with a good rating. Then read the 1 and 2 star reviews for that SSD. Either they arrive DOA or they died shortly after. Look at the Samsung 840 Pro 256. Approx 6% of the reviewers say it arrived DOA or died within months. I been in manufacturing 30 years and 6% is not acceptable. I just think the technology needs to mature a little bit.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I understand hard drives have more moving parts and SSD's have none. I have been working with computers since the 486 days and have only ever had one hard drive failure and that one failed quickly after purchase. I also understand that there is a limited life to hard drives. People I work with that have HD failures,generally, knew they were coming and were able to prepare. Go look at Newegg or Amazon and select an SSD with a good rating. Then read the 1 and 2 star reviews for that SSD. Either they arrive DOA or they died shortly after. Look at the Samsung 840 Pro 256. Approx 6% of the reviewers say it arrived DOA or died within months. I been in manufacturing 30 years and 6% is not acceptable. I just think the technology needs to mature a little bit.

Even on Amazon I see quite a lot people complaining HDD died too fast.
Many have said WD has died on them in 3 months.
The SSDs that have arrived in front might have had manufacture problems.
Ive owned 4 SSDs and they work completely fine over 2 years now.

The "6%" is pretty low.

cbt3

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
Installed

so I finally got around to purchasing some stuff, I got a
Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive
http://amzn.com/B004W2JL2A

install was pretty easy, and man it's so fast!

However, I must have botched something while installing, because now my right internal speaker does not work :( I am not sure what went wrong, I oppened it back up and checked all the wires, everything seemed to be intact, I can't seem to figure out what happened? Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.