Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I'm buying my 4th computer, and my 1st ever apple product. I'm debating between a Mac Book Pro 13', an iMac 20', or a mac mini(I already have a 19' monitor). I have a budget of about 1100, but the less I spent the more I could spend on other things, like maybe an iPod touch :p

My main uses would be email, web browsing, photo/light video editing, and a little bit of programming. I won't really be using it for gaming. I obviously want it to be as fast as possible, so I don't really want to settle for less.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot :)

~Kyle

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm buying my 4th computer, and my 1st ever apple product. I'm debating between a Mac Book Pro 13', an iMac 20', or a mac mini(I already have a 19' monitor). I have a budget of about 1100, but the less I spent the more I could spend on other things, like maybe an iPod touch :p

My main uses would be email, web browsing, photo/light video editing, and a little bit of programming. I won't really be using it for gaming. I obviously want it to be as fast as possible, so I don't really want to settle for less.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot :)

~Kyle

YOU, cannot buy a macbook pro under $1100! or a imac for $1100, they cost over $1500!
my opinion

buy a mac mini $600

buy the keyboard, and mighty mouse... $150

buy a new ipod nano or ipod touch $150-$200

buy the apple care protection plan $200-$250

buy a printer, or else if they give you one for free after rebate. (-$100)

kyle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Well, I could just wait a couple weeks and get a Mac Book Pro, if that would be a better choice.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a budget of about 1100, but the less I spent the more I could spend on other things, like maybe an iPod touch :p

I obviously want it to be as fast as possible, so I don't really want to settle for less.

Any thoughts?

Kyle, how do you reconcile those two statements? What is more important to you, or likely to be important over the next few years of owning the unit?

The new Mini is your bang for the buck choice since you have a monitor and it's the lowest cost entry point to new.

MacKiddyWiddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
macbook pro or mac mini, use the external screen with either the mac mini or the mbp... *(i think with the mbp you'll need to buy a cable (£19))
signature_SmileyFace.jpg
in my opinion, mbp... but if money is tight, the mini will be more then sufficient

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
This is easy, if your like me and find yourself always on the move get the Mac Pro 13". The number 1 reason is you'll never find yourself with out a computer. It's so small but yet powerful enough to do just about everything you need plus more. You'll have no excuses why you can't just drop it into your messenger bag or backpac & take it with you.

If your home a lot and just want a computer to go online and things of that sort. If your trying to save some money, get a Mac mini. They are both awesome little computers. Upgrades for both are not that much & you'll have Snow leopard & Ilife etc. enough to keep you busy.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.