Mac book pro just crashed.... flashing ? when attempting to start up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mwmps, May 1, 2007.

1. mwmps macrumors newbie

Well the nightmare struck.... i was working on my mac and it froze up. I used cntrl apple power to restart and then was confronted with the flashing folder with a ? icon.

I have inserted the CD that came with the computer and have used the disk utility to try to verify and repair the HD however, I get a invalid volume header message in red.

I was going to try the archive and install option however when I get to the select a destination section of the reinstall and no optionas appear for me to choose.

Of course I have not backed up in a while.... all help would be greatly appreciated from seeing if I can recover data to getting it back up and running

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Sounds like your HD has died out or has a funky formatting problem. I'd look into Disk Warrior or hook it up to another mac via target disk.

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Stories like these is why I'm going to be purchasing an external HD soon and start backing up...

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

bye bye hard drive.

You might be able to fix the issue in disk utilities. You'll have to run it from the OS X disc.

just insert the dvd and hold "c" when booting.