Mac book pro mid 2012 vram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by choubok, Jun 16, 2013.

1. choubok, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

choubok macrumors newbie

Hi, i have a macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 with an intel 4000 graphic card and 4 gb of ram, right now my vram is about 248, i was wondering that will my vram improves by changing 4 gb ram to 8gb of ram, and does it improve my games performance?
    when i look at my mac info says that my graphic card is intel 4000 512 but in my shogun 2 game it says that my vram is 248

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

VRAM doesn't affect game performance. It only affects quality and what kind of settings you can run. You won't get any more fps from more VRAM.
    If you don't get good fps already, you should get a different computer to play that game.

That being said, Shogun 2 is a Windows game so it really doesn't matter what OSX shows as VRAM. The HD 4000 is an integrated GPU which simply takes as much memory from the system as it needs. Usually a minimum of 64MB and up to 1.7GB under Windows. I doubt that most games will run at settings that need any more than 256MB. Maybe 384 in rare cases.
    Anyway the driver in Windows manages that and what Shogun says doesn't matter. I would assume all it says is how much memory the current settings are using.
    Use GPU-Z to read out the video memory stats during gaming to see what it actually is using.

3. choubok thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the answer, so as you said it only effects the quality of the game so will increasing the ram makes shogun 2 look better?

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

You can play with higher quality textures at the same FPS. That's the only difference.

Textures are the visual "surface" of every object in a game.

If you're playing in windows, though, it handles vram differently for intel integrated cards and doesn't have an artificial limit like in OSX.

5. bleta macrumors newbie

is there anyone who succeeded in 768mb of ram?