Mac Book Pro Model # A1286, Which AC adapter to use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cooolguy1982, Jul 23, 2013.

1. cooolguy1982 macrumors newbie

Folks,

My MBP's model number is A1286 [ Rated Vol : 16.5V - 18.5 V & 4.6A]. When i bought in 2009 , the default magsafe adapter [Model : A1184] i got is 60W [ O/P Vol : 16.5 V & 3.65 A]. It worked for a while perfectly.

When i have gone to India, The Magsafe adapter worked fine for a few months and it stopped working one day.

Then i bought a new adapter with same rating as the 60W Magsafe Adapter [ O/P Vol : 16.5 V & 3.65 A]. With 1 year warranty.

It worked for 3 days, and stopped working. I got another replacement which also stopped working after 4 days.

What's wrong with the adapter i got? MBP is working fine with the rest of the charge it got.

Please help me folks.

Thnx
    Matt

2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

ALL 15" MBP need an 85W supply.. I do believe..

Hello.. you mention an original A1184 Adapter, which is an 85W device I believe, and would be proper for a 15" Model.. I believe a 60W can 'almost charge' a 15" MBP but would be improper for ANY of the models, but someone wiser than me will likely 'chime in here' to advise us both..

That being said, it is possible that under Extended Heavy Load you might damage/ heat up the smaller adapter I suppose, but I am fairly wise in Electronics and Power Issues and am sure that 'at the least' it would be unable to Completely Charge the device.. So, I would suggest you NEED a Proper Power Adapter at the least, and maybe you might have a Shorting/Battery Issue if there is damage to more than ONE charger in recent times.. :apple:

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I presume you're buying them from apple? They should be more robust than that.

'fake' adapters range from adequate to downright dangerous, and I wouldn't even think of plugging one into a macbook.

4. cooolguy1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

They are all apple.

5. ramram55 macrumors 6502

It will not hurt to use an circuit breaker board to connect your magsafe adapter to mbp. So how it works.
    I used a circuit breaker board in india to connect to the outlet of power source and plug in the adapter to the board, no problem.

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

there should be no issues in using a 60w adapter with a 15" that needs an 85w adapter, BUT it will take time to charge the battery and lots more if you are using the laptop at the same time.
    You should have got a 85w charger its completely safe to use it on a mac that needs a 60w. The only effect on buying that would be a slightly bigger hole in your pocket.
    My frined borrowed my 60w charger for her 15" shes been using it for 3 months:mad: and the charger works like a charm.