Mac Book Pro - Mysterious moving Icon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mogbox123, May 12, 2011.

1. mogbox123 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    When I start up my mac book pro my hard drive icon, which normally sits in the top right hand corner of my screen, moves itself to the middle of my desktop. I don't see it move, its there when the screen loads. I move it back but once I start up again, it moves back.

Can anyone tell my why this might be happening? Is it a virus thing??
    Thanks.

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

To answer this bit: no. Malware? Trojan? Possibly, but highly unlikely.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

Why would you suspect malware, just because something is happening you don't understand? Malware isn't the cause for the vast majority of things that happen on a Mac that the user doesn't understand.

Have you tried setting your preference by right-clicking on the Desktop?:
    ScreenCap 1.png

4. mogbox123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for these suggestions.. this is my first mac so I'm uncertain about what can go wrong. From a PC background, a virus seems to be the first port of call, but then what do I know!?

Will look into both the above suggestions. Thanks again.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

On a Mac, it's pretty much the last possibility, right after "my dog ate my data and moved my icons" and just before "an alien dog ate my data and moved my icons".

6. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

These have got to be the most repeated sentences on the MacRumors forums, and usually, it's the same person that posts it lol. Posting the same thing about non-existent Mac viruses has to get tiring, eventually. :cool:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's only because it's one of the most repeated questions.

8. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

Out of everyone, you would think that the Mac users, themselves, would know that they're Mac can't get a virus that doesn't exist. Heck, even PC users know that.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, many are new to Macs, so it's understandable they may not be fully informed on Mac malware. If they come from a Windows environment where malware is more prevalent, it's natural they would assume the same is true for Macs.

10. simsaladimbamba

But not everyone is literate when it comes to computer.
    People drive cars and use appliances they don't know the inner workings of, the same can be said for computers (independent of what OS is used).
    That is the way of the world and it will be for a long time.

Btw, I could ask some inane question on some Harley Davidson forum and there might be the same reaction like when one asks for viruses here.

11. mogbox123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the discussion.... so, any theories on why it could be happening!

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you set the preference, as indicated in my first post? If so, have you rebooted to see if the problem persists?

13. mogbox123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, now I feel silly. I forgot in amongst all the reading. Have done it now and it seems to be fixed. Yay.

You rock.
    Thank you for helping out a newbie.