Mac Book Pro new install SLOW!!!! HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftball999, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ftball999 macrumors newbie

Hi, my mid 2009 mac book pro's harddrive died. I bought a western digital hard drive off of amazon and installed it. I attempted to back it up from time machine but it failed multipe times so i decdied that I would just do a clean install and start from scratch. After in the install took 12 hours it finally finished. Now I have all the updates installed and it is running slower than I have ever seen! I get the pinwheel all the time. I have reset the permissions and that had no effect. I have run the hardware test and that came back clean. I will try anything please let me know what you think, thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

What took 12 hours? The installation of Mac OS X (not included any software not coming with the Mac)?
    Maybe the HDD is faulty. Have you tried AJA System Test yet to benchmark your HDD?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your new hard drive may be dying. Even though it is new, it can still fail. I'd ask for a replacement from the seller or a warranty claim from Western Digital.

4. ftball999 thread starter macrumors newbie

It took 12 hours just to install OSX which I knew was an extremely long time and no I haven't tried to run any sort of bench mark because it takes to long to open anything.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your new hard drive sound likes it's a dud.

6. ftball999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any chance this could be a logic board issue?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A very, very, very small chance. But before you replace an expensive part, try replacing the hard drive.

8. ftball999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be on the phone with amazon as soon as I'm off work.

9. ftball999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I have the new drive installed and snow leopard is running....but not much better than before. Total it took 36 hours to install snow leopard but I just let it run figuring that it would get there eventually as it did. Its not been indexing for 16+ hours. Does anyone have an ideas? Thanks,

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Take your computer to the Apple store, that is not normal. I installed a new HD a few months back and it took me one hour from the time I closed the machine up to the desktop restored through time machine.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Something it very wrong. Not too sure what, but its probably related to the logicboard and will be costly to fix. Taking it to an Apple Store should be your next move.

12. Naimfan, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

That sounds like a bad hard drive. Have Amazon replace it--Snow Leopard installation should take like 30 minutes.

The other possibilities are that your optical drive is failing, or that your OS disc is scratched. Can you try a different optical drive? And is your OS disc scratched?

13. ftball999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I got it to the apple store. The guy took a look at it and said something is very wrong. I have replaced the hard drive twice (amazon by the way overnighted early am delivery on the 2nd hard drive which was nice) he said when he replaces them he switched out the cable too but the odds that that would be the problem were very unlikely. He ran a few tests and without tearing the whole thing apart deemed it most likely a logic board issue. The disc I was using was brand new. I am currently scraping it for parts and looking to buy a new one. My issue now is, when is apple going to upgrade the pros again? I am leaning towards getting a 13in just for the small size but I have heard that apple is going to upgrade the MBP line again sometime soon. Any thoughts on that? What the upgrades are going to be?

14. simsaladimbamba

There will not be a significant upgrade to the MBP line until early 2012, when Intel releases new CPUs. Maybe, just maybe, Apple will give the MBPs a slight speed bump, but nothing more. So if you need an MBP now, get one now. Unless you can wait eight more months.

15. ftball999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I use it for school..which wont be starting until september. I do have a desktop that I could use until then....I had heard new case design. I am just worried that I am going to buy one and then have some great change.