Mac book pro. No USB Autoplay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nathjg, Jun 27, 2011.

1. nathjg macrumors newbie

Hey all.
    I just got myself a new USB Internet stick.
    It is suppose to run software install etc when I plug it in to my comp. How ever I get nothing. The stick is activated I know this because the light on it turns from red to blue but my comp doesn't do anything.
    It works on my brothers Mac book.
    I have searched everywhere on my Mac for settings that might affect this but haven't found anything.

Can any one help??

2. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

What kind of "usb internet stick" is it. Is the airport card in your MBP broken? You might not need any extra hardware to get online.

3. nathjg thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a Telstra (Elite) Next G stick.
    My wireless is working fine. I can connect to wifi networks. Though I am using this Internet stick so I can access the net when my wifi is not in reach...?

4. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

whoops that makes perfect sens. I can't imagine why It works on your brother's macbook and not yours. plug it back in and go into network settings and see what is going on there. You may have to add an interface for the device to work.

5. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

You still need a wifi signal. That USB stick doesn't give you free Internet. If your AirPort signal doesn't reach the computer, I doubt it will reach the USB stick.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's 3G internet, not Wifi.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

8. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Oh, I knew that! :p

9. nathjg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input guys...
    Telstra is being a true Cl_lnt at the moment. I ended up calling apple and now Telstra 3 times.
    I took Telstra's advice and downloaded software from their website. Still didn't work. It detected the device but wouldn't connect. Got put through to Telstra's "technical support" and was directed to a site for the correct software.
    Now with downloading the correct version (i installed the device on my bro's mac and compared the software) during the installation wizard it tells me that it can't install the software because there is a newer version already installed. I have searched everything and looked every where for this software....
    woosahh...i can't find anything and this head ache isn't going away...

Hahah....umm..help!?