Mac book pro or air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gumbys69, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Gumbys69 macrumors newbie

Gumbys69

So I'm tired of waiting for the new I-mac (delayed yet again) and figured i would just buy a laptop although i dont need the portability of one at all as it will never leave my desk (i have i-pads and 2 other lap tops) so should i buy the Air or the pro as they are the same price point (1 certain model) but the pro has better specs? What are the paying for on the Air? The size or how slim it is? Whats the big advantage? Any advice would be a great help! Thanks!

2. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

The 13-inch MacBook Air has some advantages compared to the non-retina 13-inch MacBook Pro. I am not considering the retina 13-inch MacBook Pro because you this particular model is more expensive than the Air, so you are probably referring to the non-retina model.

The 13-inch MacBook Air has the following advantages over the non-retina Pro:

-thinner and lighter;
    - has SSD instead of HD, which means it is much faster to boot, load applications or anything related to disk access (the difference is huge);
    - has a higher screen resolution, which results in a larger work area (1440x900 in the Air compared to 1280x800 in the Pro).

The 13-inch retina Pro has SSD and a much higher screen resolution (2560x1600), in addition to being thinner and lighter (although not as much as the Air), but it costs US$ 1,699 at minimum.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

If portability is not something you value, why even bother looking at the air?

Perhaps a nice little Mac Mini with a half decent screen would do?