MAc Book Pro or Sony Google TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stupidbeaner, Nov 20, 2010.

1. stupidbeaner macrumors newbie

My perents will give me one of the two options for christmas but I can only get one , they told me I can get a Mac Book Pro or a Sony google tv . I want both but only get one . Which one should I get and why ?
    Help anyone ?

2. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

If you already have a computer you are satisfied with, get the Google TV, otherwise the latest generation MBP's are worth it.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everyone's wants and needs will differ based on any number of factors
    For me it would a no brainer... a MBP

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Get the MBP, and get a job and work for your google thingy. Consider yourself lucky that your parents are rich enough/spoil you enough to buy you a 2000$ laptop.

5. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Sounds like someone never got a good xmas gift from their parents before.....i bet this post gets littered with such negativity and people telling you to get a job and go buy your own....sometimes these boards are so worthless.....

As for MBP vs GoogleTV, I think GoogleTV is too new to get a good opinion on how its working, GoogleTV is significantly cheaper, but the MBP will do what that does plus obviously a whole lot more. Not to mention GoogleTV only works connected to your tv, so no portability like the MBP.......I would opt MBP definately...

6. RAWphenom macrumors member

don't be dumb.... if this kid's lower than a senior in high school; then, yeah, he's getting spoiled... and a good present is all in how you look at it, not how expensive it is...

7. gdeputy, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I think he's talking about Sony's actual line of Televisions that come with Google TV. With that said, there are a few questions to ask yourself.

1. Do you own a reasonable laptop/PC currently?
    2. Do you own an HDTV currently?
    3. How much time do you spend working/using a computer?
    4. How much time do you spend using a television?

Answer those 4 questions and I think you'll know which product it is you would like.

For what it's worth Google TV hasn't impressed me.. I played with it, read up on it significantly (was hoping it would be better than Apple TV which I was sorely dissapointed in) and it's still not all that. However, if you need a TV, the 46" Sony Google TV hasn't gotten incredible reviews. Picture quality is so-so, and from what I've read it's controller is a bit wonky and difficult and the black levels aren't great. I think if a TV is what you want your better off looking for a different kind. Ask yourself what you need Google TV for? Do you have an xbox 360 or PS3? If so, Google TV doesn't offer much over those.

If I had no nice TV and a decent computer I would probably take the Television, but for 1399 (price of google tv 46", I'm assuming thats the model your looking at, it's priced like a macbook) you can find a 55"+ Plasma with true blacks and incredible picture quality. I'de go that route. Really you can get a 55" LCD also.. (side lit LED is overrated.. unless it's uniform LED throughout the whole TV it's pointless).

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn50c8000/4505-6482_7-34005777.html?tag=also

this is a great set, 3d capable, incredible picture quality, and nearly the same price. Honestly, which novelty (and trust me, currently, they both pretty much are novelties) would you rather have, 3D or Google TV? Also remember, you can't add 3d to a TV, you can always buy a google tv set top box in the future.

8. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

He is opening himself up to comments like that. But to be fair we don't know the full situation/story behind the Christmas gift

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Well the MBP is infinitely more useful than a TV. But it depends on if you already have a laptop or TV.

10. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

wow, your parents must be loaded..

get a laptop. tv sucks.

11. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Macbook Pro. I find it way more useful than having a TV, but it all depends on your uses like everyone else had mentioned. Some people love having some nice big HDTV's, I'm happy using my USB TV Tuner and just watching the occasional TV show on my Macbook. 2 birds with 1 stone.

12. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Think about this. If you choose the laptop, focus on using it as a learning tool to assist, as you further your education it's going to pay off handsomely. Nothing beats a good education. Nothing.

You can then pay for all the entertainment & fun you could ever want.

I was not given expensive gifts by my parents. Instead it was made clear that a good education was the best goal. So I got a great education and found out they were right. Everything else is just stuff.