Mac Book Pro price

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueGoldAce, Oct 25, 2011.

1. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Hello everyone,

I am posting this to gather everyone's opinion's. I am a graduate student in neuroscience. I own an iphone 4s, ipad 2, and a aging dell latitude d630 (4 gb ram, 2.5 core duo, 128 mb nividia card). I, just in the last two weeks, made the switch from android to ios5. Best decision I have ever made technology wise.

Anyway, my computer is dying, so it looks like I am going to have to purchase a new one. I love my ios5 devices, but I have never owned a apple computer (but I have worked with them, so I somewhat familiar with the operating system). I do a lot of word processing, presentations, researching (pdf's, websites, etc), and some image editing (microscope pictures, things of that nature).

Is the macbook pro worth the premium over similarly speced windows 7 PCs? I am a graduate student, so money is not exactly plentiful. I want a computer that not only is dependable and efficient, but with last me 4 years at least.

I am looking at either the upper end 15 in or the 17 in mac book pros.

So, is the mac book pro with the extra cost?

I appreciate your response. I also realize their will be some biases here positive towards apple. That is why I posted this here. I want to know that what mac users think...not pc users.

Thanks

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

get the 13" MBP, in a year or two sell it and use the money for the better one

the 13" has the highest % resale value from the original price

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

My old Dell has been with me since 2005; it just won't die :/

Is it worth it? Sure if you have the money to spend.

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

You buy a Mac because of OSX, that's the only justifiable reason to pay extra IMO. I get irritated when the Macs come under-spec'd relative to the equivalent PC but at the end of the day I still get a Mac because I want OSX.

With the latest gen, the hardware is great but you could probably get a better deal elsewhere, so definitely not worth it on the hardware alone. Get the Mac if you think OSX is worth the price premium over Windows.