Mac Book Pro Retina for Serious Video Editing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dany74m, Aug 14, 2013.

1. dany74m macrumors member

Hi,

is anybody using the MBPretina for professional Video Editing with Premiere or FCX? I actually use an IMAC (the top previous gen. with ssd and 32gb ram) and my workflow is very smooth. Being a wedding videographer I often travel so it would be useful to be able to work when I'm around. Do you think the top MBPRetina, can replace my Imac, or it is going to suffer?

Thank you.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Assuming we are talking about the 15" rMBP, I think it would be a good replacement. I dont know exactly what kind of toll it takes to play with hours of wedding video, but I think what you have in the iMac may be overkill (although it never hurts to have it). With that being said, Im not so sure if it will "suffer" or not, but the 15" rMBP is a great professional computer. I dont know how things work over in Italy, but if there is a certain period of time in which you can return the macbook to the store for a full refund, I would say buy it, try it out for a week or so. Put it to the test editing really long videos, having multiple applications open, set it up to see how it will handle in its heaviest load. If you are satisfied with the way it performs, keep it, if not return it for your money back :]

3. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Editors have been using MBPs to edit on the road for years, load it up with RAM and you should be fine.