mac book pro running 10.9.4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mansell, Aug 18, 2014.

1. mansell macrumors newbie

hi thanks for reading my question,
    I'm using a mac book pro and was using handbrake and mac the ripper
    but since updating my software i can't use them ?,any ideas of software to rip my dvds paid or free cheers

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean you can't use them?

We need a little more detail on what's occurring since updating your apps.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Second post suggesting paid-for software in 5... 4... 3...

4. mansell thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers guys since the update ,i havent tryed it for a while so cant remeber (doh) my mistake i think it just doesnt do to much at all,i used to work pretty
    well,it prob worked well on 8 out of 10 copys

----------

this is what comes up
    can’t open the application “MacTheRipper” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

5. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, PowerPC applications are meant for those PowerPC Macs, they were no longer released since 2006, the introduction of Intel Mac.
    Apple included a software called Rosetta to make those PowerPC applications run on Intel Macs, but Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is the last OS version that Rosetta software was working with, thus all OS X versions since Mac OS X 10.7 Lion will no longer run PowerPC applications.

There are other tools to rip your video DVDs, and even HandBrake is capable of ripping video DVDs directly if VLC Player is installed.
    Post #3, link 1 has a guide, if you are interested.
    Otherwise there is always the route of going back to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard via a clean install.

6. mansell thread starter macrumors newbie

I did like the old software which route do you recommend? For easy use please

7. simsaladimbamba

As you probably use MacTheRipper for ripping (copying and removing the copy protection) the video DVD and then use HandBrake for converting (transcoding, change format and codec) the ripped video DVD to an MP4 or MKV file, you can leave out the ripping process entirely by using HandBrake only (as mentioned in point 3 in the first guide I linked to in post #3 - VLC needs to be installed for that).

You insert the video DVD in your optical disk drive (ODD).
    You close any application that is opening due to the video DVD being inserted, most likely DVD Player.
    You open HandBrake, and as you did before, you click on the SOURCE button, but instead of going to the folder you ripped to, you go to the inserted video DVD visible in the Sidebar under DEVICES and proceed like you did before.

Is that workable for you?

For more information, you might have a look at the first link in post #3.

8. mansell thread starter macrumors newbie

hi that seems good thanks I've been a bit dim it wasn't on my mac book pro
    but on my iMac(we all updated at the same time and i wrote the post half asleep)
    ill try downloading handbrake and vlcand mac the ripper on mac book pro and see how i go thanks for the advice ill keep you posted as soon as I've done one or i get problems :)

9. mansell thread starter macrumors newbie

mac the ripper

mac the ripper has a no entry sign through and says this u can’t open the application “MacTheRipper” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported