Mac Book Pro + scmFanControl advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnieblue, Jul 12, 2011.

1. johnnieblue macrumors newbie

johnnieblue

I just started using smcfancontrol and i read up on it to enough to figure out how to use it but i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers.
    I want to know if i shouldn't put the rpm too high or too low?
    What is a dangerous CPU temperature?

Any advice on this app or temperature in general would be appreciated.

Also, is that "You Need To Restart Your Computer" error often related to over heating?

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

The fans cap out at ~6200 rpm.

You're referring to a kernel panic. Sometimes... most often it's something else.

Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app

post the errors here

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Dangerous CPU temp would be over 100 degree Celcius.

I prefer to have my fans at the lowest rpm possible under most circumstances. Gaming would be the exception, in which case I usually determine which game I'll play, beforehand, and set the rpm accordingly. My formula is 4,00rpm for older, less taxing games and 5,000rpm for newer games. Your fans will spin up, as needed, to prevent a hardware problem. The only reason why I use smcfancontrol is for gaming in Windows (Bootcamp).

If everything you do is under OSX, you probably don't even need to use that software...

The restart computer error sounds like you have a problem, if you're getting that. I don't even recall ever getting that message from smcfancontrol.

4. johnnieblue thread starter macrumors newbie

johnnieblue

5. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Forgot to add, I'm on a posting spree, because I've been drinking and of course that leads me to forgetting things...

Your Mac is designed to shut off if tempratures reach a point of potentially damaging your computer, so as long as it's running and functioning normally, all is well in your computing world.

6. johnnieblue thread starter macrumors newbie

johnnieblue

Knowing that actually makes me feel better, thanks. :D

7. escogido macrumors member

smcfancontrol sets the minimum rmp, as the MBP gets hotter the OSX revs up the fans, so you don't have to worry about it. I just set it to 3500rpm when plugged in, because heat afterall is the enemy of electronics, I'd rather replace the fans (and pay worst case scenario $50) than replace a logicboard and pay 400$...

8. johnnieblue thread starter macrumors newbie

johnnieblue

Does anyone know why my AVI's won't work when trying to use the movie function in camtwist? it says it's playing but i just get a black screen with no sound.