Mac book Pro showing full memory used by "Other"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mickwaffle, Apr 30, 2013.

1. mickwaffle macrumors newbie

Hi, my enough Mac book pro started showing a 'Warning disk nearly full' error, so I check in system into and it said 130 gigs was used by "Other", and there was only 1gb free. I ignored it for a day or so and now its happened again except it says 100% of storage is ued by "other" and zero kb for everything else!

[​IMG]

I opened up the main folders in the drive folder and they're not too big..

[​IMG]

Anyone had this problem?

2. simsaladimbamba

What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

To find out, where you storage capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive / storage capacity":
    It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the SSD/HDD's capacity unused.
    The above links also apply to SSDs.

3. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

weird

that is strange i would reformat the drive or find out what you have that is eating up your storage

4. simsaladimbamba

Or disable local Time Machine backups as explained in the link titled "What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space?" in post #2.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple store genius bar told me "other" is for OSX but I am not sure about it I told him if I could delete "other" folder. :apple:

6. simsaladimbamba

"Other" is not a folder you can simply delete, as in many cases it does not include that local Time Machine backup. As for the OP, and for you too, the FIRST link in the SECOND post of THIS thread tells you what this OTHER really is and how one can circumvent that annoyance.

Is that understandable?

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Do you have a backup? It looks a bit weird, so there's a small chance the HDD is dying.

Then uhm... reboot, reset SMC, PRAM, if that doesn't help run the hardware check, system recovery...