Mac Book Pro w/Belkin Switch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomamon, Sep 4, 2009.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

OK, so I went out and bought a Belkin Switch to hook up my new MBP to my monitor and switch back and fourth between my PC and MBP.

It was a relatively easy setup, I got them both working with no problem. I realized on the Mac Book I had to set the display to mirror to the monitor so it would not sure it as a second a monitor with extra space.

The only thing that is bugging me is that the Mac Book Pro display looks softer on the monitor then it does on the screen it came with. Windows also looks sharper on the monitor as well. I tried changing the resolution to match what I have the windows machine set to (32 bit, 1680x1050). But its still softer on my monitor.

I am currently upgrading the Mac Book Pro to Snow Leopard to see if that makes a difference. Also, I have the 15inch MBP 2.8 processor, so it does have the better video card.

Any tips or suggestions?

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Any other ideas? Is this just what happens when connecting the MacBook Pro to a switch on a monitor?

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

If you are using mirroring then the external display is set to match the resolution of the lower resolution device, in this case the Macbook. This means the external display is not running in native resolution so it looks blurry.

What you should do is turn off mirroring and run your computer in clamshell mode if you don't want to use the Macbook's own display as a second monitor. Put the computer to sleep, connect an external mouse and keyboard, display and powercord and hit any key or mouse button to wake it from sleep. Now you have it essentially as a desktop machine.

5. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

OK, I'm not sure how to do this, and is this possible with the Belkin switch? It has the external mouse, keyboard display and is connected to the outlet.

Thanks for the help!

6. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon