Mac Book Pro with External Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Footglove, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Footglove macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am close to my wits end. I have a early 2011 15" mac book pro and i'm hooking it up to an ACER 27" display with 2560x1440 resolution capacity. have tried a display port to HDMI, and thunderbolt to DVI with no luck of getting any resolution higher than 1920x1080....please help

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

well it is obvious why you can't go over 1080p with the hdmi, that's the maximum with hdmi.

Now you can check if your monitor has displayport input, then you can just get a mini displayport to display port adaptor and get that resolution!

if you want to use DVI, you must make sure your adaptor is dual link DVI to support that res, single link wont work!

3. Footglove thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have the dual link and that didn't work, but I will try the mini display port to display port option and hopefully that will resolve it. I'll let you know how it turns out...thanks

4. Veuxtres macrumors newbie

I like to understand more abt this, I'm using a thunderbolt to hdmi cable to my dell monitor with 1920x1200 it works just fine.
    Am I correct as long as under about this Mac the display tab showing 1920x1200 means I'm running correctly am I right?

May I ask is op using the latest version of osx?

5. joku macrumors newbie

6. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

HDMI has been improved over time and versions above 1.3 support more than 1080p if both the computer and the display support those version of HDMI!

For example the hdmi port on the new Mac Pro is 1.4 and it can support 4K display.

7. Veuxtres macrumors newbie

So the problem foot having now is because of the 2011 mbp or the version of the hdmi cable he's using?

8. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

For high resolution to work through hdmi both the display and the computer must support above 1.3. So in his case either his monitor has lower version or the computer.

9. Footglove thread starter macrumors newbie

well, I just received my mini display to display port and now I get "no signal"...ugh! any advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

10. Footglove thread starter macrumors newbie

well, now that I plugged it in again after changing the DP rate on the monitor to 1:1, it works...wooooo hooo!

11. Veuxtres macrumors newbie

Mind to share what resolution and frame rate you getting now?

12. Footglove thread starter macrumors newbie