Mac Book Pro Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jpsheff, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Jpsheff macrumors newbie

Hey, I can't get my Mac Book Pro to boot. It was working fine and I closed it while on the phone, but after returning to it 30 min later it wasn't responding so I attempted to hard boot it. When I tried to turn it on again it wouldn't start. The screen remained black and the apple start up sound was non existent, but there was power as I heard the disc drive make a sound, the HDD spinning and the light on the front glowed dimly. The battery is fully charged and I have tried booting while plugged in to the power adapter as well as just off the battery. I also tried holding down the control key, command key and power key to restart it after I turned it on. Additionally I reset the PRAM and the SMC. I did notice, however, that either after making an attempt to restart using ctrl, cmnd, pwr or after I reset the PRAM it made the the apple start up sound, but nothing further, the grey screen did not appear, it just remained black.

I guess I should add that my MBP has 2gigs of RAM, 2.4g Core 2 Duo, and a 180gig HDD. I don't have any additional hardware connected to it, and all components are stock including the RAM.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, experience with this issue, or a solution to my problem it would be greatly appreciated.

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Can you remove the battery and try and turn if on? Also can you connect a external monitor to the dvi port and see if it outputs onto that. If it does you most likely have a issue with the LCD panel.

If the system has both memory banks full, you could remove one and see if it outputs display.

3. Jpsheff thread starter macrumors newbie

I removed the battery and tried to turn it on, no success, just the same result. But when doing so I hit some of the volume keys, they made the increase and decrease volume sound. I then grabbed my LCD from my desktop and hooked it up to my MBP, no dice. So I guess I'm having an issue with the video card. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Jpsheff thread starter macrumors newbie

I just read elsewhere that I may need to replace the logic board. Can anyone confirm this? And if so whats it going to cost me?

5. tps.wave macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with a MBP 2.4ghz 2008 model. At first my computer wouldn't chime on drive noise and the display wouldn't come on.

I did the troubleshooting steps, resetting PRAM, etc.

Then the chime started working on boot but no display.

Then I reseted the SMC - removing the AC power, removing the battery and holding down the power button for 5 secs.

Then I connect the adapter, but left the battery out, and started and Yes! the display is now working?? I guess this called a "hard boot", but still don't know why this worked.

I am going to keep an eye on this, I may eventually need to replace my graphics unit.

Worth a try if you have similar issue.