Mac book Really weird system behaviours

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Deth, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Deth macrumors member

Hello.
    It seems that the old mac book we have around here just died, but its kinda strange so i want to ask if anyone know what happen

Its an old macbook 2011 i5 running OSX 10.6, kinda lame but get its job done... anyway, it was working without any issue (my mother use it for watch videos and write text files) then the next day when we turn it on something really really weird happens, the finder load as usual but without the menu bar, and as soon as the boot finish, it launched "Microsoft word" and "Microsoft crash reporter" automatically... and after that everything went from bad to worse.
    After force quit the MS programs and check that they were not marked to open at login i try to check system preferences for the login items on the account screen, that process was interrupted by a random lag periods that seems to come in intervals of around one minute without any reason, after check and remove word and the crash reported from the login items (no one know how they ended up in there) the system just crash.
    After that i don't even try to reboot, i just plug the Firewire to another mac and back up all the data to via target mode...
    After that, and on a final check i turn it on again but this time i notice something more... the Windows partition that runs with bootcamp wasn't mounted, i try to check on disk utility but it froze, so after reboot just open the console and copy all the logs then shut it down

I have never seen that kind of behaviour, i don't know if its software or hardware... or a demonic possession
    I know that its probably time to put it to sleep, but i really wanted to know that is this.

Logs (both are really different)
    (all messages) http://pastebin.com/29Z0Zx6y
    (console logs) http://pastebin.com/1S09CYc8

Thanks in advance.

2. neeklamy macrumors newbie

Do you have the install disc for 10.6 Snow Leopard?

If you do, you can run Disk Utility from it. Either with the disc loaded, boot your Mac with the C key held or hold the shift key whilst booting, then insert the disc (more detail from How to boot Snow Leopard from a DVD-ROM).

Failing that, there’s probably a third-party tool that you could use to diagnose the problem, but I wouldn’t be able to make any recommendations, maybe someone else could?

3. Deth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I try that using the disk utility thing and it report that it cannot repair the disk.
    The hard disk is less than 3 years old so i doubt it have a problem, the os was running fine the day before... and suddenly the whole OS seems to be falling apart reporting things like "startup items folder cannot be found" and stuff like that
    im kinda concern about a flash updater dmg i found on the desktop when i did the backup, didn't copy it just in case...
    but somehow i think it has some hardware issue that is being reported wrong by the software.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Check operation in Safe Mode.

It could be that the disk is undamaged but there's corruption in system files that DU can't fix (and it can't fix much, really).

5. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Do s not matter hard drives can fail at any time even new ones it sounds like a bad drive

6. Deth thread starter macrumors member

Safe mode doesn't work
    I try that and i got the apple screen and nothing else, i leave it for a while, then the fans go full power... a while after that i shut it down

Disk utility report that the disk is fine... i mean the SMART and the other thing...
    Is there a way to do a hardware test in these days? i remember the AHT dvd that comes back then but now i don't know

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

A better way of checking the SMART status (since Disk Utility doesn't catch much):
    SMART Utility:
    https://www.volitans-software.com

AHT information:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

8. Deth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks , i think is gotta be the hard disk as you said.
    I erase and reinstall os and it worked perfectly, the next day i turn it up and run the software update to update all the os things like safari and stuff and after the restart it went white screen with the apple logo.
    soothing on the bootcamp partition shows the mac hd icon normally but when i try to leave windows there is no mac disk to boot from, if it was newly erased and re installed i can only think it is a hardware issue what is affecting it so yeah, the hard disk seems to be the responsable.