Mac book recommendations? (not MacBook)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fogtripper, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Fogtripper macrumors member

I am expecting a new mac pro to arrive this thursday. In the past, I enjoyed picking up a manual or 2 to have as a reference. Yar, I know the internet is a wonderful vault of knowledge, but many times I like to have it in print if possible. (in bed, on the "throne", on the plane, etc)

Are things changing so quickly that no one has put out a general mac book? The closest I saw was the current macs for dummies, but even that appeared to be 99.99999% OSX info and very slim pickings insofar as hardware and such. I am thinking a manual that would cover the internals of RAM, HD and processors, and procedures for upgrading hardware. Is it so simple these days that it need not be covered extensively?

I am rather shocked that I cannot find a "Missing Manual" or Mac Bible" that fits the bill. Is there one or two right under my nose that I've overlooked?

2. NetworkMeUp macrumors newbie

NetworkMeUp

If you want to know more about wireless networks, I recommend the book 802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide by Matthew S. Gast (published by O'Reilly & Associates). Gast provides a thorough explanation of the technical minutiae administrator or a motivated home user, the book may be too technical for some. Linux installs, Windows installs, WEP, access points, network deployment, network analyzers, Medium Access Control and Apple airport issues were well covered topics.

You can find the book here: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/802dot11/

Enjoy! :cool:

3. Fogtripper thread starter macrumors member

This is yet another system software book. I am looking more for a general book like Macs for Dummies, but on the scale of a Missing Manual or Bible. One that would cover all aspects of the mac hardware and software, how to manage Windows in Boot Camp, networks, system hardware upgrades, etc.

I suppose I will be content for now with info on the web.