Mac Book Screen installation problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Imran927, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Imran927 macrumors newbie

So I broke my Macbook screen by falling off my skateboard and as a result my screen cracked. My warranty with Applecare was over and I had to get a screen through eBay. I had a local computer tech install it in and this was a year a go. I noticed now my screen goes blank if its placed in certain positions. I am thinking the wiring is some how loose. Any one here installed these screens them selves? I've seen some videos on youtube but am hesitant to reinstall it my self. Thank you

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'd take it back to whoever did the swap and have them look at it.

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, a screen replacement is absolutely not a do-it-yourself job. I'm not sure about the experience level of the tech who installed your screen, but if they didn't have significant training and/or experience in replacing MacBook LCDs, it's very likely it was installed improperly.

I'd certainly contact the firm or the individual who installed the screen.

If they're unwilling to help, or if they say your repair warranty has expired, find a reputable Mac repair company to make the adjustment.

For comparison purposes, our price (parts, labor, and shipping) to replace a MacBook display panel is $299, and our price to replace the video cable (which may be at fault) is $160. It's very possible you could find this same repair at a lower price, but only trust a reliable Mac repair source, and see if you can even get a 1-year warranty :).

Best wishes!

EDIT: I see you're in the Bay Area. There's got to be a good Mac shop in your area who can match or beat our prices. Check Yelp for reviews, check if their techs are Apple-Certified.

4. Cpup macrumors member

Take it Back!

I'd take it back to the place you got it installed and have them fix it. That will make you fine. Don't attempt to play around with it yourself, you could seriously damage your computer, maybe even so bad you would have to buy a new one. Go take it back.:D