Mac Book Security

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Having recently experienced a relative having their laptop stolen I began to look at my own Mac Book and wonder what I would be like if it got stolen. Whilst I accept that there is probably little chance of me getting it back, I am concerned over the information it holds and that perhaps if someone managed to log in they could log into sites I visit and perhaps request lost passwords etc.

Having spent today doing a bit of browsing, there appears to be several diffeent pieces of software I could install such as Hidden, Prey and Undercover.

My question is, are they worth purchasing, do they actually work and is it something that I should consider?

I currently have a password to gain access to the Mac but thats it. I have today also read that I need to change the firmware password using the disc which I am going to do. In relation to using File Vault, I have read it can damage your hard drive and make the system run a whole lot slower ?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated on this one.

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Use FileVault. Rumors of it tanking your performance are exaggerated.

FileVault turns into whole disk encryption in Lion..

3. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

More Mac security suggestions are available in the link in my sig.

4. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Thanks for the advice so far. Much appreciated.

5. sparker macrumors newbie

Meaning Lion has an entirely new disk encryption feature, not requiring FileVault at all. You still have the choice of using FileVault "or" Disk Encryption, but it would be silly to do both.

Steve