Mac book super slow wireless!!!? :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andyjamesnelson, Dec 10, 2008.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

Hey,

I writing for help with my friends mac book (white 2.4 duo core 2 10.5.5) wireless speed.

We have a Netgear router that has a huge range and even if I am sat right in front of the router the connection speed is terrible and pages load very slowly.

That being said when its working I get connection speeds on files over 200K.

I wanted to know if there is a way to reset the wirless card on the laptop?

This issue really just seems to be pae load time. Its always stalling - loosing its connection etc.

I use the wireless across the house from my iMac and have no such issues. This would point me to believe there is something up with the mac book rather then the router.

Please help me out if you have any suggestion.

Thanks, Andy.

2. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I'd like to know this also since my macbook's wireless is pretty crappy also.

Zack

3. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I also had trouble with slow wireless and loosing connection. Then I read a tip somewhere. Just add another wireless connection, but keep using the default one. Like this:

[​IMG]

Airport is my default, Home is the one I added. Make sure "Home" (call it whatever you want) is at the bottom.

Worked for me, so it doesn't hurt to try.

4. Molopo macrumors regular

I had a similar case with my iPhone. I'd been using my netgear router for years, and it wasn't until I got my iPhone that I discovered the modem I was connecting it to was a router in and of itself. So make sure the modem that your router is connected to isn't giving off a signal as well, because it may interfere with your wifi signal.

5. kenned macrumors member

Adding another wireless connection fixed the problem for me! :D finally i don't have to plug in my ethernet cable anymore!

I have the Alu MB 2.0

6. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Great! So I'm not crazy after all. ;)

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You may want to send some feedback to Apple because it sounds like a bug.

8. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Haha, ya think? :p

How do you send feedback "the right way"?

update:

sent feedback here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

although I doubt I'm the first one to mention this.

9. Automatically macrumors newbie

wow. this problem has been bugging me for awhile. I thought it was my wireless router cause when I used my macbook in other wireless spots it was fine but when infront of my router it performed very poorly. I added another wireless connection and im getting so much better speeds at home. Thanks so much for posting this. And how did you ever figure something like this out?

10. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I had problems with my wireless 5 min after unpacking it so I googled some and found this "tip" 5 minutes later. Maybe it was a blogg comment or something, but it worked and I haven't had a problem since.