Mac book to PC labtop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dude6823, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Dude6823 macrumors newbie

Hey, this may sound stupid but...
    My friend has an HP Lab top, and i Have a Mac book Pro. She needs some files from me and instead of copying them to a flash drive i was wondering if we could some how plug her PC to my mbp.
    Is that even possible and if so will it work? I just want to send some mp3 files to her, cause im such a nice guy haha.
    Thanks!

2. skarocks47 macrumors member

you can go to System Preferences>Startup Disk>Target Disk Mode

and then reboot. you will be able to make your MBP be an external HD in a way. You have to connect through firewire tho.

3. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

If you have an Ethernet card installed on your laptop and on your PC you can directly connect them with a cross-over LAN cable (in case You don't have network hub). or a straight LAN cable (if you are using a network hub or network switch between the computers)

Or you could use bluetooth, if available on hers. I am assuming you have a newer macbook with it built in.

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

If you have an Ethernet card installed on your laptop and on your PC you can directly connect them with a cross-over LAN cable (in case You don't have network hub). or a straight LAN cable (if you are using a network hub or network switch between the computers),In the TCP/IP properties of one client type in 192.168.1.1 for the IP and the Subnet of 255.255.255.0 and in the other clients TCP/IP properties type in 192.168.1.2 for the IP and the same subnet. Then if you want to file share you need to enable file and print sharing and set them both to the same workgroup and all that jazz.

Or you could use bluetooth, if available on hers. I am assuming you have a newer macbook with it built in.

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck