Mac, Boot Camp, Parallels, XP, etc...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrpeepers, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

Hello everyone.

I am a new Mac convert. In fact, it was this past Saturday that I had to put down my XP Windows Computer, and to date, I couldn't be happier. I am so impressed with this machine!

I have a question though. The one reason why I was ever hesitant about buying a Mac is, well, for lack of gaming products. Then I heard about Parallels and Boot Camp and people even successfully playing he games (Battlefield 2) that I play, but on the Mac, so I made the switch. It also helped that I haven't gamed in about 6 months, but knowing that I COULD is what helped me make the decision.

Any way, I love this computer!

I installed Parallels but everything I've read says thats probably not the way to to if I want to game. Rather, what I've read is that I should install Boot Camp, and then XP, and then the game so that when I boot up the Mac I'll have the option to either start Windows or Mac.

Question
    In your experience or knowledge, will installing Windows on the Mac with Boot Camp adversely affect the Macs performance when the Mac OS is running? We all know what Windows can do to harddrives, etc., and how Windows gets slower, and slower over time.

So will having Windows installed on my Mac eventually make my Mac run slower?

Thx!

M

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

No, they're separate partitions and won't adversely effect each other.

3. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so now say I'm tired of XP and don't ever want to look at it again. How does one entirely remove XP off of the Mac? Is it something that can be dragged and dropped into the Trash Bin?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

5. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

Yes... :)

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

No. It is as easy as using Boot Camp utility to uninstall it though. Dragging a drive to the trash just ejects it, not delete.