Mac Boot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ejack63, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ejack63 macrumors newbie

I have very old powermac G4 with os 9 installed and recieved a Leopard Install disk that it just won't boot.:apple:

2. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Do you know what model G4 you have? Older G4's (under 800MHz) wont run Leopard without Open Firmware CPU speed spoofing or helper tools.

Are you sure your G4 has a DVD drive?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All G4's, except the PCI graphics PowerMac G4, will at least boot to a retail Leopard disc. Some machines with ATI Rage 128 video cards may have trouble as Leopard doesn't have the drivers for that GPU.

4. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

As an aside, I managed to use Rage 128 kexts from Tiger in my Leo install

Cheers :)

Hugh

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Interesting! Can you detail the steps you took? I ask because I have a Rage 128 AGP in the Leopard G4/450 at work and a Rage 128 PCI card in my QS running Leopard at home.

Both cards work, so I don't know what drivers they are using under Leopard, but if I can make it better, I'm all for it.

6. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

I loosely followed the guidance here for my Pismo G4 - http://nanchatte.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/installing-old-ati-rage-pro-128-video-drivers-from-tiger-into-leopard/ - using the kexts from my Tiger installation.
    It's probably a Pismo only thing, but I get screen artifacts every time the cursor changes from the pointer to the hand, and DVD player only shows a black screen. Before applying ATI kexts I was not getting artifacts, but DVD player wouldn't open up at all. The graphics have otherwise improved greatly so I'm not that bothered.

I still have the kexts if the website's download link does not work.

Hugh

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks! I'll try this when I get home. Right now, I have no issues. If a web page is loading the monitor that's connected to the Rage card will have the cursor flicker in time with the loading. But that's the only issue. I put it down to the fact that that monitor is actually an HDTV though. But, I will give this a try.

There's no issues with the monitor at work, so again, no idea what driver is being loaded, but if I can get better options and this works at home I will try it on the Mac here at work.

Thanks!

8. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Tiger ATI kexts attached for those who need 'em

Hugh

Attached Files:

9. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

To ejack63, sorry to be seemingly ignoring you, but is the Leopard disk full retail (black with large X on it), or a grey one?

Hugh

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, since you provided it right here I just had to try it on the G4 at work, I don't notice any difference as far as the Mac operating. The display is the same as before.

But, I booted in Verbose mode and this time the system indicated that the Rage drivers loaded, instead of the warning about it being too old. Performance (speed in doing things) seems to have picked up, even with only 256mb ram on this G4.

Now I have something to look forward to with my Quicksilver when I get home from work! Thanks very much for this! :D

11. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Good to hear !
    I feel it's always important to share those little titbits around for others and keep the PPC flag flying.

By the way, I have found reference to some ATI drivers from a Leopard beta, but haven't managed to get at them yet. They're probably the same as the Tiger ones though.

Hugh

12. eyoungren, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Let us know if you find them.

To reciprocate, one of the users here mentioned once that the kexts for the PowerBook G4 fans under Jaguar are better performing than the ones under Leopard. I've replaced them on one of my PowerBooks (the dead one I think, but maybe not). Anyway, see what I can find when I get home tonight. The PB is at home.

Should that be useful for anyone anyway.

13. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Great, something for me to play with tomorrow morning before work.

Cheers for that :)

If this carries on shouldn't we start a new thread?

Hugh

14. eyoungren, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If I can find the thread about this, I'll either repost to it or open a new one. Good idea.

EDIT: I just reread my post and it sounds as if I'm meaning that ALL the kexts are better. I edited the post. What I meant was the kexts for FAN control for PowerBooks, not just Albooks. And the one from 102.8, not Tiger. Sorry to mislead anyone.

15. ejack63 thread starter macrumors newbie

16. ejack63 thread starter macrumors newbie

from what i know when i got it it had os10.5.8 and me being stupid enough installed os 9 on top of it

17. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

OK, good so far, it seems Apple sent you a 'Media Replacement' disk which is basically a retail version.
    One of these? [​IMG]
    So, if your G4 is above 867MHz it should boot, if below the threshold there will be some work to do to get it going.

Hugh

18. ejack63, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

ejack63 thread starter macrumors newbie

My disk is pretty much the same as yours except it says 'Mac OS X Leopard' instead of 'Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1' is from 2007 and has the exact same serial number.
    Apple have sent me 2 disks and both have the same issue i cant boot to them. For general knowledge it is the 'C' key during boot isn't it?
    Also how do I check the MHz of the system and the graphics cards specs? In os 9?

19. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Yes, it's the C key for booting to CD/DVD, or better still, hold down the alt (option) key immediately after the power button. That will give a list of bootable sources.
    Here's how to find out your specs in OS 9 - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1048893

Hugh

20. ejack63, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

ejack63 thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked at the settings and it is 500MHz, has a 37GB Hard drive, has a Pioneer DVD-ROM Drive and an ATI Rage 128 Pd (PRO) at 16MB Of VRAM:confused: Am I Stuffed of what are my alternatives? I just tried to boot using the 'alt' key and it dosen't even pick up the drive.

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some of the early stock G4 DVD Roms can't read the Leopard DVD. This problem only ever showed up as a problem for some early G4 iMacs because they were the oldest G4 that could run Leopard without modification.

22. ejack63 thread starter macrumors newbie

i read somewhere that my old power mac can only support 10.4.11 is there any was to push the limit so to speak to accept leopard.

23. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

24. ejack63 thread starter macrumors newbie

So is there any way i can get a tiger disk then?

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That machine can still boot Leopard without any modification, it's the Leopard installer that does the checks. LeopardAssist isn't needed to modify your machine to allow Leopard to install on it. All you need to do is search for the instructions that are done through OpenFirmware.