Mac Booting issue,errors

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bonvoyage, Mar 20, 2011.

1. bonvoyage macrumors member

I am using a macbook pro 15" 2.53 ghz,4 gb ram,250 gb hard disc,2009 model laptop with a snow leopard 10.6.6 OS in it.I have made a bootcamp partition of 70 gb and got windows 7 installed in it for my design jobs.

Couple of weeks back i need to reformat and reinstall os and other softwares due to booting issues.It wont boot to mac os, eventually it shuts down aftr showing mac symbol for a while(screenshot attached).

Now the same issue popped up again,with a difference.. it vl boot to the system but i am unable to open or save any of the documents or files in it,but i could open softwares in mac.Mac drive shows out of 175gb, 35 gb is used and rest is free which never be possible.I took th backup of files i have in mac and tht seems to b well over 120 gb.

the dvd drive spits out all the original os dvds and other software cds.So i have taken a copy of SL 10.6.3 and try to boot it frm the dvd and used disk utility to repair the issue.Fortunately the drive accepted th dvd and i performed the disk verification and repair functions and it showed few errors.Someone pls explain what does it mean
    i have attached the screenshot of issues
    pls do the needful

Attached Files:

2. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

If no one posts a solution here, you should either post the problem on the official Apple forums, or take the computer to an Apple store for inspection. Be sure to bring screenies of the problem or the geniuses will almost always make you do a wipe/reinstall before helping any further.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Got problems Disk Utility cannot repair? If your Mac is under warranty or AppleCare or both, take it in to a Genius, and explain your situation. If not... I hope you've got a recent backup. Even if you don't all is not lost - drive recovery software for Mac OS X does exist, but it's not cheap.

4. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

reformatting the Mac OS

@ MyDesktopBroke ...at my surprise u said exactly the same thinh what the apple care did the last time when i had the similar issue. Instead of finding the root cause they mitigated the issue by reformatted system and reinstall the system.

@ wrldwzrd89 ..when i smelled the problem,i took the backup of all files in the macdrive.unfortunately i m out of warranty period and havnt taken any macbook extended support packages

Currently i am using boot camp standalone windows 7 for my office work.when i log into windows,Macdrive8 software popped up with an error message showing "mac volume may be damaged,Macintosh HD(D) was not safely disconnected when last used ,and may contain errors" then an option of 'mount anyway" or "cancel".

i wish to know is thr anyway i can reformat the system and install SL 10.6.3 without deleting bootcamp partition ?
    unfortunately the driver cd which i got along with the macbook pro isnt working,so is the SL 10.6.3 contains both driver and OS ?
    Is the formatting and re installation a tedious process or should i depend on apple care to do it?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The good news is this: You can indeed wipe just the affected volume and reinstall Snow Leopard onto it, without touching your Boot Camp stuff. The Driver CD is specific to Boot Camp as far as I know.

6. bonvoyage, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member

so can i use SL 10.6.3 retail dvd for formattig the mac drive and reinstall it and no need to bother about any other driver dvds right ?

where can i find the guidelines for formatting and reinstalling the mac os ? i havnt done ths risk b4

In a forum i found "Macbook Pro 15" 2011 Install DVD 10.6.6 | MacOSX | 6.23 GB" is it compatible with my macbook pro 15" 2009 model ?

and i 4got to mention tht i did disk utility repair with SL 10.6.3 where my mac has got the latest update 10.6.6,is tht the root cause of the errors ?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1. Correct.
    2. We have a guide for this, here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Clean_Install_of_OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard
    3. No. That's a machine-specific DVD, which will only work with the Mac it came with.
    4. No. Odds are strongly against this being the case. Far more likely is that the filesystem got corrupted somehow before you attempted to repair it.

8. bonvoyage thread starter macrumors member