Mac boots but then freezes soon after--Please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by toams7, Jul 26, 2008.

1. toams7 macrumors newbie

about 2 months ago my mac "died". i'm using an iBook G4 800mhz 12". when i turned it on, the gray apple logo screen appeared and then it went to the blue screen, and where the "loading mac os x" box would normally appear, nothing happened. i tried at least 6 more times, and then i put it away and i was pretty convinced that it was broken. i got home, put in the panther disk that i had, which has worked in the past when i have a problem, and tried to boot off that disk so i could put a fresh install on. i thought i just had a bug on my hard disk so that would fix my problem. but then it didnt boot into that disk, just the blue screen again. i tried holding down alt, and then c, but still nothing happened. so i turned it off, waited a day, then booted normally, and my desktop came up, i thought it was fixed, but then it froze again after about a minute and a half since i pressed the on button. so i bought a firewire cable, transfered my important files that i wanted to keep onto a friends iBook computer, and then tried target disk mode to install a new copy of Panther. it worked, but then when i booted, it just went to the blue screen. after 2 months of messing around, i found out that the longer i waited in-between bootings, the longer i had before it froze. so i waited 2 weeks, and then i had enough time wipe the drive, install panther, restart, but then it froze. i waited another week, and i was able to go through setup, then it froze when i was done. 5 days later, i booted, my desktop opened, i opened safari, and it froze. i have also tried things like reseting the NVRAM, and the PMU, but neither made any visibe change. i even took the RAM out and put it back in...

any help??? i'm not in a hurry but it would be really great if i could fix it

thanks

2. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

wow that's interesting. i've never heard anything like that in all my mac days. i wouldn't know what to say. maybe its the hard disk going out. trouble is that its a laptop so you cant easily change it. im not sure what to say. good luck :apple:

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If it is more stable after a longer period of disuse I would be thinking more along the lines of a heat-related issue. You could have a failed fan somewhere inside the machine. They don't last forever.

Whatever the case it definitely sounds like a hardware problem as opposed to software.

Does the machine get noticeably hot anywhere on the chassis?

An student of mine over here has an old NEC notebook computer that kept locking and she started resting it on a freezer pack with a towel over it right around the location of the processor. It didn't lock up after that but condensation is a problem and advised her against doing so.

4. phrawg macrumors newbie

Blue screen

The blue screen just happened to me yesterday. I tried to fire wire and I could not. I rebooted with Lepord and didnot know how far to go. should I reinstal the whole operating system?

If you learn any more please let me know.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

You can archive and install, but after reading this it appears to be either ram, HD or the motherboard. Hope it's the ram, but I think it's the MoB.

6. toams7 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks you guys, i didn't think anyone would read this, guess i was wrong...

yep, this is pretty weird, i'm thinking its the MoB, but i guess ill ask a friend of mine who's been working with macs for years, he might be able to tell me whats wrong. if its the hard drive, i can fix it, but if not, i'm puttin' it up on eBay where it came from. i dont really think its the hard drive because i acsessed it with firewire and it worked, and i got some of my files. but then after a while the moving firewire logo got really weird, little yellow bits of it were left behind in its path, and the screen was a big mess of yellow crap, and then the mac i was using to acsess froze, so i unplugged it. don't think that the hard drive.

or it could be the ram, because it works when i haven't used it over night, but it depends on the space in between uses. so if i used it on monday, for example, then i wait till wednesday, it works for 6 minutes. if i just wait overnight, it works for about 3 minutes. what do u think??

also, theres this fix i found. http://www.coreyarnold.org/ibook/. i though maybe it was this because it stopped working in my backpack on a trip. i put it away, and came back later, for some reason it might have got banged, something might have popped out of place. i can't use this fix though, i don't have the gay tool that apple makes you buy to open ur G4.

so thanks for ur help, ill ask my friend, see what he say... :cool:

7. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

That is almost certainly motherboard failure. I moonlight as a mac tech at a large company with a sizeable mac population, having seen a lot of motherboard failures, i'd put money on it. If you want to be positive and you're pretty handy, open the case and take a look at the motherboard. Closely inspect any capacitors on the motherboard, and see if any of the tops of them are bulging, a dead giveaway that the motherboard is inoperable. In particular the imac G5 was plagued by a batch of bad capacitors, and at one point we were opening two or three a day to check the motherboards for failed capacitors (the other main issue that would plague them was bad power supplies). It's a shame too, they are like 25 cent parts that fail, and the only fix is an 800 dollar replacement of the motherboard.