Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtr053

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Tuscaloosa, AL
I have both Windows 7 and Mac OS X installed on my MBP. I want to boot from a flash drive with Ubuntu on it. I know that the flash drive works because I have tested it on a PC. I have installed rEFIt to allow me to boot from it. So when I turn on the computer, I have three options to boot from when the flash drive is plugged in: Mac OS X, Windows, and Ubuntu. rEFIt recognizes that I have a version of Linux installed on the flash drive. So when I choose to boot from the flash drive. It just boots Windows. When I choose to boot from Windows, it also chooses to boot from Windows (thankfully). Does anybody know why this is happening?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I have both Windows 7 and Mac OS X installed on my MBP. I want to boot from a flash drive with Ubuntu on it. I know that the flash drive works because I have tested it on a PC. I have installed rEFIt to allow me to boot from it. So when I turn on the computer, I have three options to boot from when the flash drive is plugged in: Mac OS X, Windows, and Ubuntu. rEFIt recognizes that I have a version of Linux installed on the flash drive. So when I choose to boot from the flash drive. It just boots Windows. When I choose to boot from Windows, it also chooses to boot from Windows (thankfully). Does anybody know why this is happening?

Just because it works on a PC doesn't mean it will on the Mac.

Is your flash drive GPT or MBR?

Which Mac?

Which Ubuntu?

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.