Mac Box Set - Snow Leopard & iLife 11

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DarthMoops, Oct 23, 2010.

1. DarthMoops macrumors regular

Hello, sorry 1 more thread regarding this upgrade path. Maybe it's a little different thought from others.

I'm on Tiger 10.4.11 w/ iLife 06 (on C2D iMac). Everything works great! I'd probably stick with Tiger as it's been very good and stable. However I'd like to get an iPad but see that syncing the iPad with a Mac/OSX requires 10.5 or newer. I figure if I'm going to upgrade I might as well get current with 10.6.

Seems people have had mixed results with getting the $30 upgrade disk and going direct from Tiger to SL.

I don't mind getting the "Box Set" from Apple. $130 isn't the end of the world.

Couple question maybe someone could help with regarding the Box Set:

Can I do an in place upgrade of OS and iLife with the Box Set?

If in place upgrade fails or performance isn't quite what I expected can I then do a clean install?
    (A friend said his SL performance was much better after he did a format and clean install as compared to when he did the upgrade (from Leopard) on his MacBook Pro.)

I will backup my info. Is there anything to worry about with exporting or backing up iLife apps (iPhoto, iTunes, GarageBand), Email, Address Book, etc in Tiger then restoring in SL and iLife 11?

Thanks in advance!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The $30 disk and the one in the box set are essentially identical. The only difference is that if you want to install on a blank disk, you have to erase the disk in disk utility first, and then install. I assume the one in the box set has that option built-in to the installer.

If you're upgrading from Tiger, you have to erase the disk first. At that point, "upgrading" iLife is a moot point.

3. DarthMoops thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Thinker, thank you for the reply.

A little disappointed that there is no upgradability from 10.4 to 10.6, I'm a little worried about losing some data (such as metadata on iPhoto) in a clean install.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, you don't. You can install right over top of Tiger without any issues. Done it and seen it done many times. Please don't keep giving out this information, it's wrong (I'm sure you thought it was right, so I'm just saying this as a courtesy to others you might unknowingly misinform).

OP, you won't lose anything at all in this process, although of course it's always best to have a backup anyways. If you only do the Snow Leopard install, then you'll still have the same version of iPhoto anyways, so definitely no issues there. There are a very small group of people having issues with the iPhoto '11 upgrade apparently, but again, make a backup to be sure, but you aren't likely to have any trouble.

jW

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Thanks for the correction. I indeed thought there wasn't a way to upgrade from Tiger directly to SL, but I'm glad to see I was wrong.

6. DarthMoops thread starter macrumors regular

Mal, thanks for the clarification. I'll see how it goes.

Do you know if the iLife apps "upgrade" over the older version? Or do you end up with both versions?

I'll be sure to backup, thanks again!

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I do know that iLife 11 erases the older version. If you really want both, you might be able to install (or force an install with something like Pacifist) the old one after installing the new one.

8. DarthMoops thread starter macrumors regular

That'd be fine if the new iLife overwrites the old, keeps me from confusing myself.

:)

9. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Unless you want to purchase iWork as well there is no reason to get the box set. Just purchase Snow Leopard for $29 and iLife '11 for $49 and save yourself some money.

I personally use and like iWork but no reason for you to buy it if you don't need it.

10. DarthMoops thread starter macrumors regular

after action report

Thanks everyone for your help, upgrade was perfect!

Everything that worked in Tiger continues to work the same in Snow Leopard. iLife upgraded without a hitch.

Kudos to Apple (I'll grumble quickly enough when I think they do something wrong, so must give them credit for good work).

:apple: :)